View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #757
NatF
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
NatF, I have asked you to focus on modern tennis...
Maybe tomorrow.

Quote:
Olmedo, Cooper and Anderson did not do very little in the pro ranks: Olmedo: US Pro, Cooper: European GP, Anderson: Wembley!!
I did not know that Anderson won Wembley. Impressive that he went through Rosewall, still not an all-time great though. He didn't make another final at a major for 13 years after that anyway. Olmedo has a weak draw to get his US pro. Enlighten me about the European GP what is impressive about that? Guys like Nalbandian and Davydenko have won the YEC and multiple masters. I don't see any superiority from the 60's crop.

Quote:
How strong Anderson was you can see if you know that Mal beat peak Newcombe twice in 1972/73 when he was already 37/38. Anderson even had two matchpoints against peak Connors in 1974 when being semi-retired and already 39!
And Darcis beat Nadal at Wimbledon at 29 etc...winning the odd match is all well and good. But unless he was winning tournaments against those guys it doesn't say much. Did he win those tournaments?

Quote:
The three "weak" players had also Gonzalez, Rosewall, Hoad and Laver as tough opponents...
Yes...but this says nothing about their strength. The point is not that they were bad players. It's that they weren't better than Federer's second tier competition.

Quote:
Gonzalez in 1962/63 was virtually retired.
Which is essentially what I said.

Quote:
I did not say Laver was at his best at the 1963 US Pro. He was very strong then and lost to Rosewall clearly as he also did two years later in the 1965 US Pro...
I'm not going about how strong exactly Laver was, the fact is he was still improved as he was even in years like 1964 where he clearly dominated Rosewall.

Quote:
Hoad had always back problems...
You don't believe he had this problems or you don't believe he was hindered by them? You jump on anyone that questions Nadal's fitness yet deny Hoad was hampered by back problems?

Quote:
Cooper was there to fill in the numbers: Are you kiki 2 ???
I don't either of us (kiki and myself) are happy with that comparison

Quote:
Laver was not anymore a rookie pro when losing to Rosewall in mid-1963. He had improved already a lot.
Improved a lot but had a long way to go still.

Quote:
40 years old Segura was great on clay. He had Rosewall, Gimeno, Gonzalez, Hoad, Cooper and Trabert as very strong opponents on clay!
Near 30 year old Trabert and 40 years old Segura, Cooper who made just one semi at the French pro. Gonzales only played the French Pro a few times. Were there some other major clay tournaments which he proved his mettle on?

Quote:
Please ignore tennis history! It's too difficult for you, as you always are showing...
I'm enjoying you trying to pass off 40 year old players as excellent competition while belittling the likes of Agassi who was 6-5 years younger when he competed with Federer.
NatF is offline   Reply With Quote