Thread: connors bio
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #161
JCat
New User

I think it might be fair to say that Connors has some "old fashioned" views of women, but I don't think that means he has a negative view of women. Ironically, it was Chris Evert who consistently talked about Connors being so respectful of women and such a gentleman away from the court. In his book, he admits to one affair early in his marriage that he deeply regrets now. He sounds extremely devoted to his wife of 35 years and talks very lovingly about her. I can't think of any other player from his era who is still married to their first wife. Not McEnroe or Borg or Tanner, or Kriek. I am sure there are some, but I can't think of any at the moment.
Saying that Connors is a bad human being because he didn't talk to Krickstein after that 1991 match is a bit overly dramatic. Connors may have felt that Krickstein was mad at him or wanted an apology from him for his behavior in that match. Connors has admitted to being a person who avoids confrontation away from the court. He was probably simply avoiding an uncomfortable situation. It may not make it right, but it is understandable. Krickstein said in an interview that he played Connors one more time after 1991, and that they did not speak. After that, they simply never ran into each other again.
As for his disclosure about Chris Evert in his book; I am not going to try to defend that. I agree that it should have remained private. Does that make him a bad person? I don't think so. I think it just shows he made a bad decision.
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote