View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #25
illkhiboy
Hall Of Fame

Send a message via MSN to illkhiboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Malloy
Just read that this is pretty much a done deal(3 year contract)

I think this is the biggest challenge of Gilbert's career. With Agassi & Roddick, he joined them when they had already accomplished quite a bit(Agassi was already W champion & former top 3 player, Roddick was in the top 5 & had already been to a slam SF)

Murray is 19, currently ranked 36. He certainly isn't a sure thing like those players.

Gilbert reminds me of Phil Jackson, someone who steps into a perfect situation & ends up looking like a genius when his players do what they are supposed to do. Now we'll see just how good of a coach he really is.
Agassi was on a downward spiral when he hooked up with Gilbert. Ranked 32 and his results were very inconsistent. Gilbert stabilised his results. Same with Roddick. He was ranked 10 I think. Had just lost in the first round of the French and had a poor record on grass coming into that season. Amazingly he won at Queens beating Agassi for the first time and reached Wimby semi's losing to Federer. Thats a big improvement!
I agree though, that Roddick and Agassi had already had a few accomplishments. Murray's best result is probably his victory in San Jose. Interesting to see what magic BG can do with him. Perhaps none, but it should be interesting nonetheless.
illkhiboy is offline   Reply With Quote