View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #45
BluBarry
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
A Cowboy fan in New England? How could you!! ;0

Fed was one of my favorite players through 2001-03.

His appeal for me is mostly aesthetic -- angles, spin, pace, and movement. For me, it's not only the most entertaining form of tennis, but in my mind, it's what tennis as a game is to me. His domination continues the conceit that "beautiful" tennis is best tennis.

Outside of Fed, I don't consciously root for the top gun. I was a huge fan of Agassi, not because he was American, but because I just really liked the whole idea of a guy who wasn't born with great height or great serve and whose defining trait was taking away your best weapon.

Tennis as a spectator sport is kinda like local theatre interrupted by gameplay. After every point, there is a period where we expect the two actors to react in some way or to appeal to audience from their "stage." If they don't, then that comes across as indifference, rendering the previous gameplay with little meaning but end-result, and then all you have is the nuances of gameplay and the end result. True power tennis is best conveyed live, not on TV; you can't appreciate the violence and the foot speed live. Without a contrast between baseliners and S&Vers, the game aspect on TV becomes monotonous.

But I kinda wish nationalism was a bit stronger in tennis, though minus the hooliganism. I'd love to see more footie style crowds at ATP events, a la Rafter vs. Ivanisevic. What it would do is force the players to acknowledge a relationship between them and the crowd, which would I guess encourage their inner ham to come out. Gameplay may suffer as a result; but it would be more fun for the casual fan.
A few interesting points you bring up Trickster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
I was a huge fan of Agassi, not because he was American, but because I just really liked the whole idea of a guy who wasn't born with great height or great serve and whose defining trait was taking away your best weapon.
This is basically what we are talking about as to how Americans view Tennis Players outside of Davis Cup. It's all about the Player simle as that regardless of how hard some Sports Commentators try to make it into an American vs Whoever. We don't buy what they're selling. If you play with guts and give 100% and you're not just a bigass jerk, then you're gonna have American Tennis Fans. So to put it in its' most simple form, we are NOT American Tennis Fans here, We are Tennis Fans.
Quote:
Tennis as a spectator sport is kinda like local theatre interrupted by gameplay. After every point, there is a period where we expect the two actors to react in some way or to appeal to audience from their "stage." If they don't, then that comes across as indifference, rendering the previous gameplay with little meaning but end-result, and then all you have is the nuances of gameplay and the end result. True power tennis is best conveyed live, not on TV; you can't appreciate the violence and the foot speed live. Without a contrast between baseliners and S&Vers, the game aspect on TV becomes monotonous.
Those that bring excitement to the game in their style of play are strongly welcomed. If I understand you correctly, as a Player and probably you are as well, do you get distracted easily with situations happening outside of the game? If Players made a habit of walking up to people and slapping them five or answering every yell or scream or bascially being Interactive with the Crowd while playing a match. It will alter their effectiveness. Sorry but that's will be the outcome. In this Sport, you have to stay as close to focused as possible. It is truly a Sport of Zenmanship <-- New Word
The ability to become one with your body and inner thoughts in an attempt to move effortlessly and see the ball clearly and read your opponent faithfully. All of those things that can win you games will NOT happen if you're just out there kicking back having fun with the crowd, laughing and talking to everyone. Sure the Crowd will love it & you but they will also see you going home much sooner than you had hoped.
Quote:
But I kinda wish nationalism was a bit stronger in tennis, though minus the hooliganism. I'd love to see more footie style crowds at ATP events, a la Rafter vs. Ivanisevic. What it would do is force the players to acknowledge a relationship between them and the crowd, which would I guess encourage their inner ham to come out. Gameplay may suffer as a result; but it would be more fun for the casual fan.
That's what Davis Cup is for. Not for nothing but to hear people complain about the crowd getting rowdy during a Davis Cup match is crazy. You're rooting for the Home Team and you are trying to be as much a part of their win as possible. Just like in American Basketball & Football where the Crowd makes as much of a distraction as possible in hopes of a fault by the opposite Team Player. Did you ever see the crowd during a Free Throw at a Basketball game ? So I could care less how much noise they make during Davis Cup. It's all part of the packagejand if those guys can't take it, they shouldn't sign up for Davis Cup.
BluBarry is offline   Reply With Quote