|02-09-2013, 11:43 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2010
Spring Level 1 Natl Tournament
As many of us know, it'll be dead after next month. These are the facts as I see them:
- It'll be dead in 2014 (except for some 16 draw tea parties).
- This year (& previous years) the 18s play in Mobile in mid March (the same week that 40-50% of the kids in the US (who are actually going to school) have Spring Break.
- This year (& previous years) the 12s, 14s & 16s L1 ("easter bowls") are played 2-4 weeks later depending on Easter (the same week that 20-30% of the rest of the kids attending schools get a Spring Break).
My kid has never competed (because he can't miss a full week of school after missing several other Mondays during the year), but I'd still like to see a Spring L1 continue, because:
- He might want to attend next year or the year after.
- It gives my kid (or any kid) another L1 to compete in that isn't in late July or early Aug.
- in 18s it'll be during his Spring Break (& he'd definitely want to attend) in 18s.
- Another L1 for college coaches to scout if they wanted to.
Here's a way "out of the box", spit balling, solution & suggestion (that I open to tweaks & comments) for keeping this L1... & actually improving it (by opening up to more kids who might be able to compete during their particular Spring Break):
- Have 64 draws for each age group at Mobile (during the current mid March 18s week).
- Have ANOTHER 64 draw for all age groups 2-4 weeks later in Palm Springs. (gotta sign up for one or the other, not both).
- The day before the Easter Bowl (second location) final.....fly (have the USTA pay for) the winners & runner up of the Mobile draws in Singles (& the winners in doubles if you think) out to Palm Springs to play the winners & runner up of that draw. (make it airfare for the kid & one parent (or one coach) plus one or two nights room....whatever makes sense).
- Keeps the L1 alive.
- More (& better) kids compete because 75-85% of the kids won't have to miss school. (They'll compete during their Spring Break)
- Exciting East vrs. West battle royale for the title (& only 2-4 kids miss school instead of hundreds....& I'd gladly have my kid miss school for a shot at a gold ball).
- Families (parents) who have competitors in different age groups would be able to travel together to the same site.
- College coaches could attend one or the other (or both) & could travel when & where THEY want to.
(Note - if you wanted the dubs to end at the original location & get finalists points & 1/2 a gold ball.....cool. If you wanted the 12s draw to be 48 (or 32) per location.....cool. If the guru's want to hold the sites somewhere besides Mobile & Palm Springs....cool.)
What do you guys think?
hound <----wearing flame retardent asbestos alligator shirt.
Last edited by hound 109 : 02-09-2013 at 12:03 PM.
|02-09-2013, 12:26 PM||#2|
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Near a tennis court
My son's spring break is always between 18s Spring Championship and 16/14s Easter Bowl! College coaches will be rather busy during the weeks for the spring nationals since these are the weeks when many conference dual matches are played.
Last edited by Chemist : 02-09-2013 at 12:31 PM.
|02-09-2013, 07:56 PM||#3|
Join Date: Jun 2010
Lisa Stone at Parenting Aces seems to have a direct link to the USTA, and is sending different proposals to them.
She seems like a good go between as you can remain anonymous if you wish.
I would suggest that you forward it to her.
Whether they incorporate it or not, I couldn't say,
but I think you have some great ideas and it is very well thought out.