2021 USO SF - [2] Daniil Medvedev vs [12] Felix Auger Aliassime

Who wins?


  • Total voters
    115
  • Poll closed .

The Green Mile

Bionic Poster





This thread came a little earlier than expected with Carlos's sudden retirement lol...

H2H is 1-0 to Daniil, coming through a 3rd set TB in Canada back in 2018. Who makes the final?
 
Last edited:

tudwell

Legend
A little worried based on what I saw from Medvedev in the last couple sets. Should be able to break down FAA’s game, but I don’t think it’ll be all that easy.
 

Amen786

Semi-Pro
Felix is a choker, but again, Daniil didn't look that great against a tired qualifier in the last 2 sets, won by the skin of his teeth.
This could go either way.
 

Fedeonic

Hall of Fame
We have the first semifinal of the US Open 2021 and it's between the present and the future. Medvedev will try to reach a second US Open final, while Auger-Aliassime will play in his first major SF. There was just one match won by Daniil in Toronto 2018 36 64 76(7)
 

Mark-Touch

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to give a prediction yet, but I will say this.
I like both players, split down the middle.
I could live with a win from either.
What I do want is the better player to win!
No injuries, excuses etc. just pure tennis, and may the better player win. :)
 

Kralingen

Legend
Meddy to neutralize the easy first serve points from FAA with that return position. Also FAA is not a great returner, he barely got BPs against Donskoy and Tiafoe. Medvedev has the advantage on serve and off the ground.

If Daniil loses this i'll be shocked.
 

Fedeonic

Hall of Fame
Meddy to neutralize the easy first serve points from FAA with that return position. Also FAA is not a great returner, he barely got BPs against Donskoy and Tiafoe. Medvedev has the advantage on serve and off the ground.

If Daniil loses this i'll be shocked.
He's good at generating break points, but is horrible at converting it. Kinda like his fellow August 8th tennis player.
 

Rickenbacker4003

Hall of Fame
I’m giving Aliassime a serious punchers chance. He has the firepower to get through Med and he’s well rested. I’m gonna go ahead with the upset. Med’s been too passive.
 

Aabye5

Hall of Fame
Auger-Aliassime hasn't been pushed yet, but he's not making the silly mistakes either.

Maybe, just maybe, we can get a barnburner like when he played Medvedev in Toronto.
 
Nadal has to be kicking himself in the rear for not at least trying to give it a go with Novak's "meh" level and the rest of these guys looking ok but not great
 

Aabye5

Hall of Fame
People have been knocking Auger-Aliassime all year, but he has a QF and a SF under his belt at 21. It's been a good year.
 

BGod

Legend
Felix is a choker, but again, Daniil didn't look that great against a tired qualifier in the last 2 sets, won by the skin of his teeth.
This could go either way.
In Finals specifically and sometimes in matches he is heavily favoured. Considering he'll be a heavy underdog to Med I think he might pull it out in 5, his fitness seems top line.
 

Vamos Rafa Nadal

Hall of Fame
I am confident that Medvedev will win the match. Can Felix take a set? We'll see... but anything can happen in tennis, nothing is 100% certain.
 

paolo2143

Semi-Pro
Felix played superb tennis to beat Zverev in Wimbledon Q/F when he was underdog. If his first serve is working he is a very solid player and while i think Danii will win i think Felix can make it a really competitive and hard 4 set battle.
 

Rozroz

G.O.A.T.
once Medvedev will start his brain fight with FAA, he'll probably win. FAA is not built for this.
 

Ruark

Professional
Should be an interesting match. FAA is also playing under a little more pressure than Med. It's his first time this far in a major, he's young and full of hormones and emotion, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's never won an ATP singles title, and just one doubles. Med, 25, is calmer and more seasoned. He's won 12 titles, 4 of them Masters 1000s. Assuming he has his game together, I think he'll slam the door shut on Federal Aviation Administration.
 

BeatlesFan

Bionic Poster
Felix played a very mature, patient and error-free first set against Carlos yesterday. He's definitely improved his game under Toni.

Still, Daniil in four sets, though he really should get it done in three. But he lost a set to the Dane, so expect a 4-setter.
 

stringertom

Bionic Poster
Felix played a very mature, patient and error-free first set against Carlos yesterday. He's definitely improved his game under Toni.

Still, Daniil in four sets, though he really should get it done in three. But he lost a set to the Dane, so expect a 4-setter.
BF, you’re either obviously trolling or you’re geographically/culturally challenged: Botic van de Zandschulp in no way sounds like a Danish name; he is Dutch, meaning he is from The Netherlands, a small industrialized nation hard on the North Sea near Belgium. If you are a Dane you are from Denmark, a nation mostly made up of the extreme northern peninsula of Jutland north of Germany. The two nations are at least 400 miles apart from each other with no shared border.

I bring this up because this is the second consecutive day you have made this huge faux pas.
 

Vamos Rafa Nadal

Hall of Fame
I give Medvedev an 80% chance of winning and Auger-Aliassime a 20% chance of winning. Felix has been serving extremely well in this tournament, but he is vulnerable in other areas of his game. Medvedev is simply in a higher level of play than anyone Felix has had to play so far. I don't think this one will go the distance, 3 or 4 sets with Medvedev winning it.
 

Sparlingo

Hall of Fame
Should be an interesting match. FAA is also playing under a little more pressure than Med. It's his first time this far in a major, he's young and full of hormones and emotion, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's never won an ATP singles title, and just one doubles. Med, 25, is calmer and more seasoned. He's won 12 titles, 4 of them Masters 1000s. Assuming he has his game together, I think he'll slam the door shut on Federal Aviation Administration.
I like the Federal Aviation Administration reference. I think Felix won't crack under pressure but will play his best, whether that will be enough is probably not, but there is hope.
 
Top