Agassi on Jim Rome's show

ShooterMcMarco

Hall of Fame
Did anyone watch it? it started at 1:30. basically he just interviews agassi about his career and asked the usual question if hes playing again. rome asked him if fed is the greatest ever and he said yeah, "once the ball leaves your racquet you never feel safe against him."
 

Kevin Patrick

Hall of Fame
Was Agassi actually there or via satellite?
Did Rome make fun of tennis? Since he's made a career out of being a jerk, wonder if he'd have the guts to say that to Agassi's face.
 

Colpo

Professional
Rome tones down his schtick when doing a one-on-one with a guest his show is fortunate to have gotten, and AA is readily assuming "Legend" status. I'm a Rome fan; I love his new jack wordsmithing and go back with him to his days as a radio sports jockey on The Mighty 690 in San Diego in the early 90s. Also, Andre's given so many interviews in his time, he's very tough to get any kind of a rise out of, or even an unexpected answer - he's become very pat and Stepfordish in his responses to the media. Can't say I blame him - there's only so much to be said and only so many ways to say it.

That said, I missed the show.
 

norcal

Hall of Fame
Kevin Patrick said:
Was Agassi actually there or via satellite?
Did Rome make fun of tennis? Since he's made a career out of being a jerk, wonder if he'd have the guts to say that to Agassi's face.
Rome actually likes tennis and played it a lot when he was younger. He has Gilbert on several times a year as well. He just doesn't talk about tennis too much because no one wants to hear about it. I'm referring to his radio show.
 

Kevin Patrick

Hall of Fame
A lot of the american media that currently bash tennis claim to have played it.(considering how everyone played it in the late 70s/early 80s that's not hard to believe)
Playing the game has no effect on the frequency of the 'no personalities/big boring servers' label that tennis has had for about 15 years or so by the media

I've heard Gilbert on Rome. They never talk about tennis while he's there. That shows how much Gilbert cares about promoting the game. He'd rather talk about the raiders(like he's some expert about non-tennis sports)
 

callitout

Professional
norcal said:
Rome actually likes tennis and played it a lot when he was younger. He has Gilbert on several times a year as well. He just doesn't talk about tennis too much because no one wants to hear about it. I'm referring to his radio show.
I thought I heard Michael Wilbon from ESPN once say that he played junior tennis, and he's a complete moron who doesnt follow the current game at all. Every time tennis comes up he's talking as if Serena and Venus are very exciting and as if Roddick has a chance against Federer. Outside of those 4 and Agassi I've never heard him act as if he even knows the name of another tennis professional. So, agree with the poster who said playing tennis in distant past, doesnt absolve ignorance.
 

ShooterMcMarco

Hall of Fame
Kevin Patrick said:
Was Agassi actually there or via satellite?
Did Rome make fun of tennis? Since he's made a career out of being a jerk, wonder if he'd have the guts to say that to Agassi's face.
via satellite
 

norcal

Hall of Fame
Kevin Patrick said:
A lot of the american media that currently bash tennis claim to have played it.(considering how everyone played it in the late 70s/early 80s that's not hard to believe)
Playing the game has no effect on the frequency of the 'no personalities/big boring servers' label that tennis has had for about 15 years or so by the media

I've heard Gilbert on Rome. They never talk about tennis while he's there. That shows how much Gilbert cares about promoting the game. He'd rather talk about the raiders(like he's some expert about non-tennis sports)
I've never heard Rome bash tennis (but I don't listen a lot). Wait, is calling Jim Everet 'Chris Evert' bashing tennis?
Gilbert is a self promoter first, and yeah he talks about different sports but I have heard him talk about Fed and urging the 'average' sports fans to tune in and watch Fed cause he is a possible GOAT.
 

35ft6

Legend
Agassi said Federer was the greatest? I wonder if he's still feeling light-headed from his US Open loss because that's the only reason he would say that, not because he sincerely meant it after giving it serious though.
 

Noelle

Hall Of Fame
I wonder if Andre will still be playing the two Masters events. Can he still qualify for Masters Cup if he does?
 

Grigollif1

Semi-Pro
...

35ft6 said:
Agassi said Federer was the greatest? I wonder if he's still feeling light-headed from his US Open loss because that's the only reason he would say that, not because he sincerely meant it after giving it serious though.


Are you kidding me? He hasn't beat Roger since 2003 which was the year espcially towards the end That the swiss really began to realize his full talent. When he is playing Federer most of the time it never seems that he actually has a chance to win it . Like he mention it federer doens't have something that he can go to Like Pete did. Sampras would win most matches against Agassi but every now and then Agassi would pulled it off and I don't think that will happen with Federer. So what is your point that with more thoughness he would not say that Federer is one of the greatest ever in his eyes? (It would be much more self- pormoting to him to say that Sampras was the best ever since they had a 15 years Rivary with Agassi actually winning quite a few.....).


And Jim Rome did mention Roger Federer briefly after the 2005 U.s Open saying that he trancended the Sport as an amazing talented athlete. As far as not talking about tennis much I just think is an image thing. He problably does like the sport and follows it it is just that he has to sell this tough" guy image and Tennis is not that popular yet, although I think is getting Bigger now. If Tennis was to grow really big again all of these "tough guys" such as Rome, PTI, Best sport show ever would all talk about it again....
 
Top