Discussion in 'College Tennis Talk' started by Will Wilson, Apr 27, 2011.
it is like Ole Miss with chadwick..time for a change!!!
nice thing about kobelt
His younger sister plays #1 for Syracuse, I believe.
lot of changes, the Big10 looks weaker as before some weeks
the change to outside on many college places not fared too well for them
one thing is clear now, OSU is human and will be not the lone favourite to win it all, and maybe even Illinois can beat them..but only with Hiltzik.
Ohio State , clonked the two Michigans, did have their problems with MSU; but MSU is only playing the better teams very good....big game this sunday vs Illinois ! i think last chance for any team this season to beat OSU at home. Bucks are unbeaten in Big10 since 2005??? could this be right???
2) Illinois , killed indiana on the road, 7-0, without Hiltzik and Page !
3) Penn State , they are the new number 3 as UM is losing and losing and PSU still doing very fine ! Even won at both Michigans. Sad PSU (could) not play the ITA Kickoff weekend, they would ve troubled a lot of teams.
4) Michigan, never had a chance vs OSU and PSU...needing to find their form back or they ll fall even deeper here. Lville, iowa, Nebraska ahead. Would be surprised if they will win any match at Louisville, but i think they ll make Ncaas cause of their early season success.
5) Purdue, made the 5th place in San Diego invite with 2 wins over Princeton and Denver, i put them ahead of Nwestern now, they ve also won the direct match
6) Nwestern, not played for 2 weeks, who makes such schedules?
7) Minnesota, , won vs Nebraska, nice decent win, indiana trip this weekend with Purdue and indiana.
8.) Indiana, were swept by illinois easily , important weekend ahead with Wisconsin and Minnesota coming into town.
9) MSU ,heartbreaking loss vs PSU and tough loss vs OSU...so ask why there are so low...yeah..but they only play well vs better teams and they have no good wins..maybe not any win over a ranked team....so they are not ranked anymore....
10) Nebraska, did not play, swept Wisconsin, lost to Minnesota, i think the 10th place is right for the rest of season, travel to both michigans, but i will be surprised if they can get a win there. MSU is a chance.
11) Wisconsin, beat Iowa..one place up..nothing to say, were chancelss vs Nebraska..the team ahead of them...i think the two bottom teams will be there 4ever now
12) Iowa, lost at Furman and at Wisconsin....gets a big fall now from 9 to 12..theres nothing good anymore....the Minnesota win is far away...travel to both Michigans...chance for some pride?
NW, like many of the Pac 12 schools are on academic quarters, so they have exams at this time
OSU are unbeaten at home since 2005 but they actually lost to Illinois in the Big10 (in Illinois) in 2012.
OSU lost April 29, 2012 at Illinois in the finals of the Big Ten tournament.
OSU is unbeaten at home for 184 consecutive matches dating back to April, 2003.
They are unbeaten in B1G regular season matches since 2005, a total of 86 straight.
I am sure she must have juicy Jensen gossip then
I've never been to a college match before and know bery little about the college game, but I'm going to see NU vs MSU a week from Sunday. What should I expect in terms of match format/length of play for the day? Also, who are some players I should look out for?
can Northwestern women's team win it all ?
I'm not too up on either team but get there for the start, the doubles is usually very exciting.
Indiana have a big weekend with home matches against Wisconsin with a similar ranking and Minnesota who are about 10 places higher. Apparently IU's best player Sam Monette is not playing today, I know nothing more. Should be a good weekend of college tennis here.
Purdue putting it on Minnesota
Indiana's live scoring isn't working at the moment.
EDIT: They got it working now.
Hitzlik back in there for Illinois
Good for him, that'll make the Ohio State match more interesting on Sunday.
The scoreboard was a mess, Wisc takes the doubles. they are outside.
Purdue up 4-0 on Minnesota. I'm guessing they'll play 10 point tiebreakers in lieu of a 3rd set on the remaining courts if they go 3. Nice win for the Boilers.
Hiltzik getting whipped by Stakhovsky at 1. It looks like both Penn State and Illinois will take 3 1st sets. The doubles point Illinois got could be the decider if things keep going on the same track.
PSU looks strong today
Indiana takes it, good win without Monette, Minnesota Sunday looking even bigger
the scores at penn state are broke?
thx for that
Penn State and Illinois now tied at 1. Playing indoors on 4 courts. Match could still go either way at this point.
2-2 now ! ..
MSU should be back in rankings now, they beat #58 Nebraska 4-0
Penn State and Illinois tied at 3 and PSU up a set at 6
Illinois up 4-0 in the 2nd now, could be a fun finish
NW pushing Ohio State right now.
Ohio State LiveStats person is clueless. After OSU won two doubles matches, the score read 2-0 instead of 1-0. It has never been corrected. It says 4-2 OSU now but it is actually 3-2 and still being played.
Perhaps they should get someone who knows how college tennis is scored.
Illini close to avoiding the upset loss up 5-3 in the 3rd at 6.
Illinois win 4-3
Ohio State won 4-3 with all 6 courts finishing in straights. Kobelt, Metka, and Steinbach won and Pollanan, Diaz, and Callahen all lost. Matchup with Illinois on Sunday will be very interesting if Ohio State isn't able to take the doubles point.
Ohio State are having to rely on the same guys week in, week out. To be fair to Kobelt he has really stepped it up and been a rock at 1. They need to Pollanen to remind himself that he's ATP700 and start playing like it.
Agree with your assessment, and to add a few comments.
Buckeyes have been able to win a lot of close matches.
Doubles' teams have not been as dominant as years past.
Kobelt has developed his game, to a point that indoors if he gets a break it is lights out.
Re. Pollannen, his game reminds me so much of Rola, who played baseline when he came to OSU and struggled to win vs. aggressive players.
over time Rola developed and I think Pollanen will as well.
Yesterday's match vs. NW was too tight for many of us fans,
Bucks will need to have a better performance Sunday vs. Illinois or the win streaks will end at 185 and 87.
pollanen is so much talented..he will be great for years in college !!!
Bucks vs Illini will be another 4-3 match, and so far i see OSU as the fav.
Do you think the Bucks would consider breaking up Kobelt and Metka to give themselves a better chance at 2/3 doubs? It obviously weakens there chances at 1 but they have been very shaky at 2 and 3.
I thought tucker might do that after a streak of dubs losses.
He did switch herko and ralf Steinbach,
Stein pairs with Callahan at 2, and Pollanen with Diaz at 3.
So far more productive at both.
One thing I noted was Diaz has trouble holding serve,... Unusual alignment, Pollanen plays deep and Diaz serves and volleys.
Illinois has not exactly looked like national contenders lately.
Ohio St and Illinois playing indoors today.
4 hours west its nice and sunny, assuming Indiana plays Minnesota outside.
why does Penn state Women's team suck so bad ?
Bucks broke up Metka and Kobelt today, right now looking like a good decision.
#1, Kobelt and Steinbach, 4-3
#2, Metka and Goles Babic, 5-2.
#3 Diaz and Callahan, 5-2.
Buckeyes take the doubles point over Illinois
Illinois with Hiltzik at 2 today
Minnesota takes the doubles point over Indiana.
Purdue takes the doubles point over Wisconsin.
Penn State takes it over Northwestern.
Michigan State takes it over Iowa in a TB at 2
Michigan takes it over Nebraska
hiltzik at 2? wow..okay no one can beat kobelt
bucks should win 1 and 5 and 6 i think..rest is open
Separate names with a comma.