Discussion in 'General Pro Player Discussion' started by sureshs, Jun 8, 2006.
Against Nalbandian in the semis.
..let me think.. Yes he can..
Yes he can. Federer will work his slice then forehand winner combo a lot tomorrow and will probably volley more than in his previous two matches. No need in rallying with Nalbandian as it just isn't necessary when you can end the point quickly.
Nalbandian will hit to Fed's backhand, sort of like how Ancic did except with more power and better accuracy. Federer's backhand better be in good form tomorrow - and if it is, Nalbandian has no chance in hell. Believe it.
Fed in four.
Chances he win are appr. 80%, chances he lose 20%, everything is possible.
From Mercury News:
Clearly, Nalbandian and not Nadal is currently on Federer's mind. "Look, I think we all would love to see me playing Rafa in the final, except two other players," he said. "They stand in our way."
I gave it a lot of thought and came to the same conclusion. You're right, he can, he could, he may... Stupid question...
Why 80-20? They split their last two matches, each of which went to final set tie-breakers. In the Rome match, Federer won just one more total point than Nalbandian. Don't forget that there's a lot of pressure on Federer to at least get to this final. He knows Nalbandian can beat him; in fact, he suprisingly (for a professional at his level) declared that he'd rather play Davydenko because he'd never lost to him before. And I believe Nalbandian wants this win badly. He's showed an uncharacteristic fire in his earlier matches, rolling Gasquet in the fourth set of that match, coming back from two sets down and a point penalty in the Tursunov match, tenaciously holding back a late charge from Davydenko. This match could go either way, but no one should be surprised if David takes it.
Exactly my point. An upset may be in the making.
Why 80-20? It can't be calculated based on previous results. Say Nadal-Fed score is 5:1, but I'd give to both 50% in the final. It simply seems to me as 80-20, Fed will crash Nalb tomorrow maybe in 4 sets. It is the question "to be or not to be" for him now, it is not Rome, it is not Masters Cup, he will leave his fears at this FO.
A date with Nadal in the finals?It will take 5 sets for Nalbandian to pull it off.I think Roger will bring his A stuff tomorrow.
I think federer will win in straight sets or maybe 4, hes looking at his best and i think he will beat nadal aswell because hes had more rest, on better form i think and if Mathieu and Hewitt can take a set of nadal federer can go all the way
I agree with LeftyServe and suresh. This is only real test
for Federer so far at FO this year.
If Federer wins, it would be 4 set.
If Nalbandian wins, it would be another 5 set match.
Of course he can, he is the numer 1 player in the world
Federer should be able to close it out with straight sets. I also think he will beat Nadal too. Nadal looks vulnerable on his forehand side coz his return balls most of the time barely pass the service line.
Not any more. I am seeing a lot of depth. Federer is the one hanging the balls in mid court and not knowing which side Nadal will go for.
Yes!! He can beat other top clay courters (expect Nadal). So what makes you think he won't beat Nalbandian??
Only real test? Hello, what about Nadal(probably)in the final? After all not only does Nadal have a 50+ win streak on clay, and 3 straight wins over Federer on clay; but you were the one who described Federer doing everything right and playing a very sharp match in the Roma final, and still not able to win against a subpar Nadal who did everything not the way he normaly does in the match according to you.
There is a question to whether Roger is any threat to Nadal at all at this event, not the other way around; and based on your accessment of the Roma final I would have assumed that is how you felt as well.
Yep. I missed typing "so far at FO this year". I meant it is only real
test "so far" at FO this year. Sorry about that. I made a correction.
I did said Federer did everything right and very good match at Rome final.
But I don't recall I said "Nadal did EVERYTHING not the way he normally does".
As you know, I do think Federer is good enough on clay and is capable of winning
FO multiple times. He is very close to beat Nadal on clay, I think.
I recall I did say "Nadal usually passes BETTER than what he did in Rome final".
Actually it is not my opinion and pretty much straight from the quote Nadal
actually said in the after-match interview.
Are you mis-interpreting again like you did before?
Where did I say such things ?
What's up with your fixation on me and my opinions/postings ?
But stop saying "you said these things..." or "you are the one who said"
and representing my opinion incorrectly. That's a non-trival offense
in online community, IMHO. If you want to do that, dig up the postings
and reference the "exact" quote I said.
I think you have interestingly contrasting opinions (compared to mine).
I already agreed with some of your opinions but offered different ideas
for others. Hopefully we can do this intellectually and in a civilized way.
Yes, Fed has a chance, but it's not going to be an easy match (as compared to Fed v. Ancic).
You said he did not pass as well as normal in one post, you said in another he wasnt hitting his backhand normal in another that I read, in another that he was not moving as well, and another one where you said he was tigher then normal. Ok, so maybe that is not everything, I stand corrected, but that is alot.
That is an interesting comment given that you just said he did "everything right" which is saying alot in a tennis match, and it was still in a match he lost anyway. If he cant even win a match vs Nadal on clay where he did "everything right" that is saying alot about his chances to ever win a FO, let alone multiple times.
If he could not win a match where he did "everything right" according to you, and Nadal did all of this things "not how he normaly does" I doubt that he is close to actually beating Nadal on clay, atleast by your accessments.
Why would one base their opinion on what Nadal says. He is a very arrogant person, and is always liable to say he didnt do well in a match he does not win 6-0, 6-0. He even thinks he can win Wimbledon someday, which says it all for me. I give him his due, his the worlds best clay courter, the second best hard court and carpet player, and seems to have the edge in head to head matchups on hard courts for now even thought I say Federer is the best on those surfaces because of his titles. As for his personality though, well I would never look to his interviews to decide on anything, but to each their own.
You respond to my postings alot too. Since I find most of your opinions so outlandish I like to tease you more then others though. Dont take it too personaly, I find you funny mostly.
Ok I will start keeping copies of quotes of yours I can use in the future if you would like so I can do this. If you really would be happier that way.
Short answer: "No!"
jk jk don't go freek'n out on me:mrgreen:
if massu can take a set of federer, nalbandian and nadal can go all the way !
I would say Massu is better then Mathieu, and better on clay then a Hewitt coming off a long layoff and having a bad year.
you guys who think it's close to 50/50 tomorrow, why not quit arguing the point here and get online and make some $$$$$ on a very sweet investment?
or at the end of the day, do you not really believe that 50/50 line? .... money where mouth is, etc. etc.
It's not 50/50. Nalby's gonna choke, trust me. Federer in 3 sets.
Last year's US Open the score was:
6-2 6-4 6-1, for Federer
It won't be that bad, but Nalby's definitely going to choke in a similar fashion. He always does in slams.
Yes he WILL win.
Too be honest, I think Nalbandian will win in 5 sets.
Nalbandian will not win the match in 5 sets.
I agree, he will win the match in 4 sets...
What a sad joke. Federer gets yet another cakewalk into another final.
The title will now be handed to him thanks in large part to Nadal being out on the court a lot longer and playing much tougher opponents.
I think Federer is going to win this year. The finals should be banana's. So much backstory, so much at stake, so much for Federer to gain.
Federer in 4 sets over Nadal in the finals.
Do you mean, literally?
Nadal tougher opponents, ROTFL! Ljubiicic on clay in the semis, you have to be nuts to think that is a tougher opponent.
We did not consider a 3rd possibility - retirement.
Separate names with a comma.