Complications in 2 years

Discussion in 'Odds & Ends' started by racquet_jedi, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. racquet_jedi

    racquet_jedi Professional

    Jul 2, 2007
    Here's the deal, I was born in the U.S. but my parents were born in the Philippines (they came here because of a volcano eruption). Several months ago, my dad got hurt or something so now he can't work or do manual labor (his job). So, because of this, my parents were thinking of retiring back to the Philippines and I have to go with them (my brothers, 21 and 17, and sister, 22, get to stay in the U.S.), but I want to stay here because I went to the philippines a couple weeks ago and I didn't like it, and I don't think I'll have any opportunities to turn pro there (I only speak English).

    Is there anything that I can do? Or am I pretty much screwed and have to find something else that I want to be?
  2. Hot Sauce

    Hot Sauce Hall of Fame

    Aug 23, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    How old are you? You could try to stay with a sibling.
  3. angharad

    angharad Semi-Pro

    Aug 11, 2006
    Talk to them. Try to explain why you want to stay in the US, and see if you can work out staying with a sibling or other relative. I believe you have to be at least 16 to live by yourself, though that can vary depending on the state you're in.
  4. AlexP

    AlexP Rookie

    Jul 21, 2007
    I would think that if you had your mind set on turning pro and at the same time you absolutely had to go back it would be a good idea to figure out where you want to go to college here - a university with a competitive tennis program, and get in touch. It's an opportunity to get an education and play the college circuit as long as you continue to develop - and I know that it's unorthodox nowdays to go to college if you have a career in sports but this is all imho.

    When you move back research the best option for you, there has got to be some tennis programs there, perhaps try to find a patron - to sponsor your training, maybe a few tennis academies in the summer and just train hard to develop your body. The strokes will come if you are athletically sound, move well, and have both high physical and mental endurance.

    my 2 cents
  5. Freedom

    Freedom Professional

    Jan 1, 2006
    If you're seriously on track towards becoming a pro, you could probably find an academy to house you.
  6. koopa_troopa

    koopa_troopa Rookie

    Aug 15, 2007
    Looks like you are the baby of the family at 13. I doubt your mom will let go of you. :p

    If you have seriously shown talent to become a pro player, maybe you can talk to your coach or an academy thats willing to take you on as a student and get them to convince your parents to let you stay. And explain what you can get in the US that you can't get in the philipines.

Share This Page