Could Dunlop sue Prince?

lacoster

Professional
for infringment? Clearly, James Blake is not using a Prince, but his "Prince Experimental" is hardly a Prince. The frame has Prince Logos and a Butt Cap, but it clearly is not a Prince engineered frame. Even the Blake camp admits that it's still his old frame underneath the markings. It's analogistic to Nike putting a swoosh on some Accelerates or adidas putting their three stripes on a pair of Breathe Frees. Are there any lawyers out there that can give some insight?
________
Cannabis seeds
 
Last edited:

LowProfile

Professional
This same thing happened with Safin. I don't know the exact details but in involved Dunlop's contracts with Safin and Prince. Safin was using a Dunlop racquet (or paintjob), Dunlop sued Prince for some reason and Safin went back to Prince.

EDIT: Yeah sorry. Got Head and Prince mixed up.
 

Feña14

Legend
LowProfile said:
This same thing happened with Safin. I don't know the exact details but in involved Dunlop's contracts with Safin and Prince. Safin was using a Dunlop racquet (or paintjob), Dunlop sued Prince for some reason and Safin went back to Prince.
Head sued Dunlop for Safin using a Prestige Classic under the MW200g paintjob.

Safin then went back to Head, not Prince. I don't ever remember Safin using a Prince frame.
 
Consider that it was part of Dunlops release contract for Blake, other wise (in this sue happy country of ours) something would have already been done.
 
I believe another difference was Safin was actually using the Dunlop stencil on his strings while using the Head frames under paint. I remember reading somewhere that that is a reason you don't see the Prince "P" stencil on his frame's strings yet, even though he is under contract to Prince.
 
Truth is that since everyone in the biz does the paint job thing, most companies don't pursue it unless its really blatant or there is some great advantage.

Dunlop today doesn't really care because their entire marketing program has nothing to do with endorsees.
 

lacoster

Professional
Vantage231511 said:
Truth is that since everyone in the biz does the paint job thing, most companies don't pursue it unless its really blatant or there is some great advantage.
QUOTE]


Yes, paintjobs are common, but it they are mostly common within the actual brand, rather than inter-brand paintjobbing. I think the Blake case is the only one of its kind in that it involves different companies. You can't really paintjob Yonex's isometric heads or Prince's o3's to make them look like another manufacturer.
________
Toyota department of fan operations specifications
 
Last edited:

srv vlly

Semi-Pro
i dont think they can since there is no place to actually buy that racquet, and there is no stencil on it. the stencil is where the most people will see the brand.
 
Take a look back at some pictures of Alberto Costa after he switched to Fischer and you will find pics of him using what is clearly a POG painted black and with the fischer logo on the strings.

Safin was the same, clearly a Head but painted and stenciled Dunlop. Usually the companies don't pursue it because they will do the same, at least in the short term when they sign a new player away from another company.
 

christo

Hall of Fame
If Blake keeps winning he won't change whatever frame he's using so Prince will have to do something eventually to convince us suckers he's using their frame. hey maybe they could bring back the "Vortex"
 

legolas

Banned
lacoster said:
for infringment? Clearly, James Blake is not using a Prince, but his "Prince Experimental" is hardly a Prince. The frame has Prince Logos and a Butt Cap, but it clearly is not a Prince engineered frame. Even the Blake camp admits that it's still his old frame underneath the markings. It's analogistic to Nike putting a swoosh on some Accelerates or adidas putting their three stripes on a pair of Breathe Frees. Are there any lawyers out there that can give some insight?
no they cant sue, they cant prove it s audnlop, if it says its a prince, its a prince
 

diredesire

Adjunct Moderator
legolas said:
no they cant sue, they cant prove it s audnlop, if it says its a prince, its a prince
Looks like you haven't been around for a while... He even has a dunlop bumperguard..
 
Top