Rafael Nadal (#2) and Novak Djokovic (#3) fight for a spot in the finals of the 2009 Paris Masters.
- Nadal's route to the final: R32 Almagro, R16 Robredo (14th seed), QF Tsonga (8th seed)
- Djokovic's route to the final: R32 Monaco, R16 Clement (Qualifier), QF Soderling (9th seed)
Nadal leads the H2H 14-5, Djokovic leads the H2H on hardcourts 5-3 (their only meeting indoors was in 2007 at the Master's Cup, Nadal winning in straight sets)
Nadal, on his victory over defending Paris champion Tsonga, and his semifinal with Djokovic:
Djokovic, on his match with Soderling and upcoming semifinal:"I played at about my highest level since returning from the injury. I played a very complete match, I was really in great form, not at all like the other days. I played a lot better today, I was really focused all the time and played well at important moments. This is positive and gives me a lot of confidence." "This is my first big victory since the injury, so I'm very happy for that"
"Probably (Djokovic) is the player who's playing better in this part of the season, he's doing really good end of the season. It's going to be a challenge for me and a good test. I know he's the favourite on this kind of surface, but I'm here to keep improving and we will see what happens tomorrow." "It's the fifth straight semi-final for me so I am there all the time and when you are there all the time one day you will win."
Nadal is attempting to reach his second final at the ATP Paris Masters, Djokovic is competing in his first semifinal at the ATP Paris Masters.“It was a real struggle, in the second set I wasn’t moving very well; I was fighting myself, letting him play and control the match. I managed to focus when I needed to and hold the nerves and I’m happy to be in the semi-finals.”
"It looked tense (against Soderling) because physically I didn’t really feel 100 percent. Look, I've been playing more than 90 matches this year and now two weeks in a row. Suddenly my metabolism is getting a little bit tired. It's all normal. It's all natural. I just hope I can recover for the upcoming challenge." "(Nadal) is a big champion and plays really well on all surfaces. He is a big fighter" "The game that I would like to improve is my serve, which I didn't think was working well today"
The match is the first one of the day and begins 2PM, local time, on center court.
- A youtube clip of their only meeting on indoor hardcourts - 2007 Master's Cup - Nadal d. Djokovic 6-4, 6-4
- An excellent article from the ATP's website about tomorrow's semi-finals: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/11/Paris-Saturday-Preview.aspx
- Betting info, for those interested: http://www.live-tennis.com/category/Tennis-News/Rafael-Nadal-Defeats-Tsonga-in-Paris-200911130005/