Does the PC600 plays easier than PS85 ?

jace112

Semi-Pro
I'm considering buying a PC600. I know it's a bit old school, but I have an opportunity to get a cheap one.

Compared to my PS85, would it be easier to play with? I mean is the sweetspot bigger? (if someone says smaller, I'd say LIAR!)

It may be less powerful, considering the flex index.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

jace
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
Well, call me a liar then as I think the sweetspot on the PC600 is smaller than on the PS 6.0 85. Remember that the head size of the PC600 is actually 89.5 sq. in. That and the denser string pattern makes the sweetspot feel smaller to me. The PWS on the PS 6.0 85 also expands the sweetspot in my opinion, at least that's what it feels like TO ME.
 
S

snoflewis

Guest
jace112 said:
I'm considering buying a PC600. I know it's a bit old school, but I have an opportunity to get a cheap one.

Compared to my PS85, would it be easier to play with? I mean is the sweetspot bigger? (if someone says smaller, I'd say LIAR!)

It may be less powerful, considering the flex index.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

jace
i thought that the PC600 was a lot more forgiving than the 6.0 85. it's flexier so it's not as harsh on mishits. however, i preferred the feel of the 6.0 85 if that is of any matter to you.
 

AndrewD

Legend
The PC600 is a more forgiving frame than the PS85 and has a slightly larger sweetspot. None of that necessarily makes it easier to play with, however, I do think the PC600 is a considerably more versatile racquet than the PS85.
 

jace112

Semi-Pro
It looks hard to tell which is more forgivening between the 2 oldies.

BreakPoint, I thought the PC600 was a 93 in² frame. (you say the 600, doesn't mean 600 cm²?)
 

Duzza

Legend
That's because Head measure from the outside of the frame. Unless you frame all your shots, the extra "3" square inches won't help
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
jace112 said:
BreakPoint, I thought the PC600 was a 93 in² frame. (you say the 600, doesn't mean 600 cm²?)
That's only what it's specs say. If you held it up to a 90 sq. in. frame like a Tour 90, you'll see that they are the same size.
 

SFrazeur

Legend
BreakPoint said:
That's only what it's specs say. If you held it up to a 90 sq. in. frame like a Tour 90, you'll see that they are the same size.

Do they do this to all of their frames series? Or Just Prestige, Radicals?
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
SFrazeur said:
Do they do this to all of their frames series? Or Just Prestige, Radicals?
I know they do with the Prestige series, not sure about the Radical series, though. Perhaps someone else can chime in?
 

Davai

Semi-Pro
BreakPoint said:
I know they do with the Prestige series, not sure about the Radical series, though. Perhaps someone else can chime in?
Radicals are measured the same way as Prestiges. When I compared a Wilson HPS 95 and a radical they had the same head size.
 

jace112

Semi-Pro
Ok, Guys. I finally got my PC600 :)
Strung weight is only 340 g (12 Oz), should I bother?
The PS is at 357 g...

 

Galactus

Banned
I've really fallen out with my Prestige Classic.
I play-tested all 3 of my racquets last night in a single, 2 hour match over 3 sets.
1st set: Wilson ProStaff Tour90 - won it easy, 6-2.
2nd set: Head Prestige Classic 600 - lost, 1-6
3rd set: Wilson ProStaff Original 6.0 85 - won 6-4

The PC600 is a great serving racquet, but given it's denser stringbed, it needs to be strung at lower tension, so more control is required.
 

NoBadMojo

G.O.A.T.
AndrewD said:
The PC600 is a more forgiving frame than the PS85 and has a slightly larger sweetspot. None of that necessarily makes it easier to play with, however, I do think the PC600 is a considerably more versatile racquet than the PS85.
I agree the PC600 is a MUCH more versatle and better racquet than the ps85. back in the day when these frames were used, you would see FAR more pc's being played by the pros (by a huge margin) than ps85's. if you strung the pc low, the sweetspot was bigger and better located than the ps85 and i suspect that is one of the reasons why it was so much better receved than the ps85
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
Hey, snoflewis,

I noticed that you were gone for a while and your name was locked out, but now you're back with the same user name. What happened? :confused:
 

armand

Banned
snoflewis said:
that's a good idea...but $180 is a bit much for me for door stops :)

btw adely, are you still w/ your rds001s?
I don't know you buddy. The real snoflewis deleted his account, you've just taken his username.
 

SFrazeur

Legend
Jace112, if it is possible for you to post a picture of both the PC600 and PS 85 side by side?

I think a lot of people would want to be able to compare the string patterns together.
 

Galactus

Banned
jace112 said:
Tell us about your feelings because you cannot really blame a racquet for losing a set
Well, I'd have to make huge adjustments to my swing and style of play, cos it felt a lot harder to control with the PC600 then either of the Prostaff's...
After the 1st set walkover, I purposefully changed to the PC600 and tried to play the same game with the same shots as with the PS Tour90....I came unstuck real quick.
 

prorain

New User
adely said:
I'm using my PC600's as doorstops. I'm not even kidding.
hehe, id gladly buy them off you if they're in good condition. if anyone has any pc 600's ill buy them if theyre in good condition, just let me know a price.

also looking for a PC600 with liquidmetal paint job if anyone has one for sale.
 

Duzza

Legend
jace112 said:
Ok, Guys. I finally got my PC600 :)
Strung weight is only 340 g (12 Oz), should I bother?
The PS is at 357 g...

Haha the Prostaff looks like a little baby compared to the PC600, cute!
 

Duzza

Legend
jace112 said:
Bad quality, sorry:
I'm really interested in your thoughts on the Comparison between these 2. I own a PC600 but i hear such good things about the 85 i might find a trade.
 

jace112

Semi-Pro
Guys, here's my answer:

The PC600 is a lot easier to play with. I mean it is much more versatile. Easier from the baseline, more forgiving...

I have to say, it lacks a bit of feedback, especialy if you play intensive serve and volley ;)

Before getting too many rewards for this test ( :mrgreen: ) I just want to add that I won't throw my PS away anyway. It's still something special, more demanding, but maybe more rewarding.
 

Janne

Semi-Pro
Thanks for the pictures! The 85 in. head of the ps doesnt seem that much smaller. :p

From the way people talk in this board i'd have expected a HUGE difference!
 

Keifers

Legend
Janne said:
Thanks for the pictures! The 85 in. head of the ps doesnt seem that much smaller. :p

From the way people talk in this board i'd have expected a HUGE difference!
Good point, Janne.

5 sq. in. really isn't that much at all... UNLESS you start thinking about it when you play.
 
BreakPoint said:
I know they do with the Prestige series, not sure about the Radical series, though. Perhaps someone else can chime in?
This maybe too late...but Head measures all of the racquets from the outside of the head, where wilson, for instance measures from the inside, thus creating the average of 3"sq smaller in relative headsize between the two.

The prestige midplus 98" has a nearly identical headsize (inches, not shape) to the ncode6-1 95".

I don't know for sure about other racquet brands.
 
by the way...i am interested in buying the PC600. Is it worth it? and by that I mean: Is a lot better than the current models? I play a flexpoint prestige now and am just curious.
Or, should I go PS 85? (Or both?) I am more of a baseliner, maybe all courter, but by no means a serve/volleyer.
Input?

Thanks
 

ragnaROK

Professional
Bigserver1: I think it would an interesting stick for you to try. It'd be easier to pick up a PC600 for you than a PS 85. PC600, like many others have said is a more versatile stick. I'm not saying PS 85 is strictly a serve and volley stick, but for your game, I think the PC600 would be a better fit.
 
P

PrestigeClassic

Guest
Janne said:
Thanks for the pictures! The 85 in. head of the ps doesnt seem that much smaller. :p

From the way people talk in this board i'd have expected a HUGE difference!
Yes, it's a huge difference.

Another thing to consider is where the extra area is located, in other words, the headshape. In the PC's case relative to the 6.0 85, it's squarely (pun) in the mains. That's what really helps make the PC much generally more user-friendly than the 6.0 85. Another is the PC's flex.

Another variable is the playing style of the player holding the frame, just the player in general. A player might say that this or that frame is less-demanding.
 

stevewcosta

Professional
As with every rac., it depends on the person. I find the 6.0 much more user friendly. I hated the PC and never played worse in my life than with that thing.
 

BLiND

Hall of Fame
I don't know the Wilson 85", but I know the PC600.

On paper they are like chalk and cheese.

The PC600 is a great stick, but you MUST string it low tension to get that great sweetspot... its very flexy and gives a VERY different directional (control) feel from the Wilson, which is very stiff. I'd say its more different rather than better or worse.

For serving I know the Wilson's are good, their head-shape is very round, so they have more power than their size suggests, and a very central sweetspot.

also take into account the dense string pattern on the PC600... its very very different from the Wilson (open), and infact I believe you need to adjust your swing for a different pattern, as I moved from a dense 18x20 to an open 16x18. They react differently, the dense tends to err on the short-side/misshit-into-the-net, and the open tends to err on the long, but often top-spinning-in onto the baseline.
 
ragnaROK said:
Bigserver1: I think it would an interesting stick for you to try. It'd be easier to pick up a PC600 for you than a PS 85. PC600, like many others have said is a more versatile stick. I'm not saying PS 85 is strictly a serve and volley stick, but for your game, I think the PC600 would be a better fit.
Thanks a lot for the input. That's the direction that I was leaning, but I might just buy both to see how they differ in play and overall feel.

Thanks again.
 
Top