You heard it here first. These are the top 10 reasons why:
- Roger is full of confidence from his recent victory over a top opponent in Stanimal.
- Roger is full of confidence as he has beaten Nadal the last 6 encounters.
- Roger now understands what tactics work against Nadal. Whether its hard court or clay, the surface doesn’t matter as much anymore. The tactics should still be effective.
- Roger has nothing to lose against Nadal and will play much freer than he ever has at Roland Garros.
- Roger will have two full days off which will mean he will have the necessary rest to battle Nadal for 5 sets, if required.
- Rafa is not battle tested as he has not had to face anyone worthy of testing him. This will give the first set to Fed.
- Rafa is definitely beatable this year on clay and lacks confidence when pushed hard. As evidenced by his losses to Theim, Tsitsipas, and Fognini. In all 3 encounters, Rafa was pushed hard and retreated instead of playing aggressive. He will do this again in the SF.
- The Roland Garros balls are much quicker than they were in pre-2015 which will favour Fed.
- Phillipe Chatrier during the day plays very much like Rod Laver Arena at night. Almost identical ball bounce conditions, which should give Fed a better chance to drive his backhand cross court.
- The weather is supposed to be cloudy and not too hot. These conditions should favour Fed as the ball won’t be as lively (bounce off the court), compared to sunny and hot conditions.