Simona with trophy (Rome 2020):
I agree but what’s Plan B? She’s not comfortable @ net. Her serve isn’t big enough to S&V. She doesn’t have a great slice.... apart from playing more aggressive, what’s a viable alternative strategy?a failure to evaluate the coming encounter, to prepare a plan B, and to execute it
Este un eșec complet pentru Simona, care se pregătea exclusiv pentru turul de mini teren de lut și mai ales pentru Roland Garros.2020 Roland Garros
Iga Swiatek b Simona Halep 6-1 6-2
In short, what sadly happened today was IMO the result of professional negligence on Cahill's and Simona Halep's part to do the required due diligence on a day when the opponent played inspired tennis, fuelled by the thirst for revenge:
- a failure to properly scout the opponent, who displayed this exact arsenal in the previous match, with Bouchard
- a failure to evaluate the coming encounter, to prepare a plan B, and to execute it
- a failure to see that continuing to feed Swiatek high topspin balls serves her preference of attacking such balls or dropshot her; Halep did not execute perhaps even a slice, meant to lower the trajectory of the balls, to take Swiatek of her routine
- a failure to be prepped to execute aggressive returns
- a failure to improve Halep's 2nd serve, which becomes critical against power players
- a failure to be pumped up: Simona seemed quite indifferent to the developments on the court
Instead, what seemed to have been present was an overall dismissal of the opponent before the match, caused by the results of the previous encounters.
Why retire?Looks like her partnership with Cahill is over. Wouldn't be surprised if she retires in the next 12 months.