Not really, since anyone who knows the rules of tennis knows that 50% of everyone who plays, will lose. We are all very familiar with losing, and do it all of the time. Losing does not require a conspiracy theory to explain itself, losing is part of tennis. But that wasn't the OP's question. The topic is what is going on at Nationals. Or to put it a different way: say only 2% of teams sandbag, the rest of the 98% of the teams are likely not to make it to Nationals and the 2% are. I may play local USTA tennis for a decade and never run into one of those teams, but they will be very well represented at Nationals.