How is Venus looking?

Andy Zarzuela

Professional
I've been gone all week long being a counselor at a tennis camp. Unfortunately, we didn't get ESPN 2 where I was. Just out of curiousity...how is Venus looking? Is she in good form? Has she rebounded from her bad performance at the French? I saw that she won today, and that Serena was shockingly defeated. Venus should beat Craybas comfortably, and I expect her to AT LEAST to make the semis (I hope!).
 

Rodzilla

Semi-Pro
Actually, she looked pretty good from what I saw in her match against Hantuchova. Grass is a good surface for her, and she quite possibly could make the semis. She has to watch out for the Russians.
 

tennissavy

Hall of Fame
Venus is looking vulnerable. Today's match vs. Hantuchova was Venus' best match by far and she was rather fortunate to have won it! I didn't expect Craybas to beat Serena, or anyone else, but she did and she played well. It wasn't just a case of Serena making errors. Craybas played very well and intelligently. I doubt that she will repeat it against Venus but anything is possible. Venus is lacking consistency and confidence but she still has mental toughness, which is what has been carrying her through the early rounds but it won't be enough to win the title.
In a nutshell, her form is not great and most players are no longer intimidated by her.
 

West Coast Ace

G.O.A.T.
Rodzilla said:
Actually, she looked pretty good from what I saw in her match against Hantuchova. Grass is a good surface for her, and she quite possibly could make the semis. She has to watch out for the Russians.
I'm not sure I agree. I thought Hantuchova could have easily won that match if she were tougher mentally.

I still think Venus is consistently inconsistent. I know Richard taught her and Serena to go for their shots but there are so many times that she could take a short ball, hit a 75% shot and follow it to the net - instead she tried to tear the cover off the ball and it either goes in the net for 6 feet out. Oh, well.
 

MegacedU

Professional
Andy Zarzuela said:
I've been gone all week long being a counselor at a tennis camp. Unfortunately, we didn't get ESPN 2 where I was. Just out of curiousity...how is Venus looking? Is she in good form? Has she rebounded from her bad performance at the French? I saw that she won today, and that Serena was shockingly defeated. Venus should beat Craybas comfortably, and I expect her to AT LEAST to make the semis (I hope!).
This is kind of off your topic, but I start my job as a tennis camp counselor Monday. I'm excited, I wanted the job. Did you enjoy it?

And to answer your question, Venus, in my mind, always looks like hell, both in terms of tennis and appearance.
 

Andy Zarzuela

Professional
Well I hope the best for her. Career wise, Venus really needs to do well here to salvage any confidence. Venus' spirit has been broken lately. I hope she can regain form.
 

MegacedU

Professional
Andy Zarzuela said:
Well I hope the best for her. Career wise, Venus really needs to do well here to salvage any confidence. Venus' spirit has been broken lately. I hope she can regain form.
Meanwhile, what kinds of things were you required to do at your job. Was it fun?
 

goober

Legend
Venus has a 50-50 chance of making it to the semis. I can't see Crybas pulling another upset. In the quarters she will probably face Pierce which will be a tough match with a slight edge to Pierce but I wouldn't say either would be heavily favored.
 
Top