How long is your Wonder Wedge?

I am wondering how long your WW is after you trim it so your forefinger can hook over the beveled edge. The uncut WW is 6.25 inches long. I cut about 2" off so now mine is 4.25 inches long.

I have a medium-sized hand and the website only recommends cutting off 1.25 inches. How long is your trimmed WW? Please indicate how big your hand/grip size is. Thanks.
 

Ruuzo

Rookie
i used to play 4 5/8. now that i use a wonder wedge, i dropped down to 4 3/8. i trim mine so they are 4 inches long.

hope that helps!
 

fishuuuuu

Hall of Fame
Stan said:
Kind of a personal question, don't you think? :)
Not that Wonder Wedge!

I cut mine short enough that it doesn't make my secondary hand on the one-hand takeback feel different.
 

Richie Rich

Legend
fishuuuuu said:
Not that Wonder Wedge!

I cut mine short enough that it doesn't make my secondary hand on the one-hand takeback feel different.
:shock:, :shock:, :shock:

don't cut it TOO short.
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
bounce-hit said:
I am wondering how long your WW is after you trim it so your forefinger can hook over the beveled edge. The uncut WW is 6.25 inches long. I cut about 2" off so now mine is 4.25 inches long.

I have a medium-sized hand and the website only recommends cutting off 1.25 inches. How long is your trimmed WW? Please indicate how big your hand/grip size is. Thanks.
Interesting, I measured the WW on my 8 racquets and they were also about 4.25 inches long. I consider my hand size medium to small.
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
fishuuuuu said:
Not that Wonder Wedge!

I cut mine short enough that it doesn't make my secondary hand on the one-hand takeback feel different.
Having trouble understanding that. Did you mean on the two-handed backhand? That I would understand.

Thanks,

Ed
 

fishuuuuu

Hall of Fame
Ooops that's exactly what I meant, when I was still using my WW I used a 2HBH stroke, but I've sinced switched to 1HBH.
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
What?

gokou703 said:
home grown wonder wedge....8 strips of electrical tape...my cheap version
That is shocking. You cheap b_ _ _ _ _ _! Just kidding. That is fine with me. I am glad you appreciate the concept. Grip it and rip it.
 

Sixpointone

Professional
Tim Tennis,

I have a quick question for you.

I actually am completely satisfied with the Handle on my Racquet. And when I play I primarily hit two hands off of both sides.

I'm curious about the Wonder Wedge, and was wondering your opinion on it for players who hit either two hands off of both wings like me, or hit two hands off of one side.

Also, congratulations on what by all accounts seems to be a unique innovation!

All My Best,
John
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
Sixpointone said:
Tim Tennis,

I have a quick question for you.

I actually am completely satisfied with the Handle on my Racquet. And when I play I primarily hit two hands off of both sides.

I'm curious about the Wonder Wedge, and was wondering your opinion on it for players who hit either two hands off of both wings like me, or hit two hands off of one side.

Also, congratulations on what by all accounts seems to be a unique innovation!

All My Best,
John
Yikes, I will have to read Tennis Mastery by David Smith again. He is a big proponent of the two-handed forehand. I really don't know what the hand placement is for a two-handed forehand. Well I just looked at his book and apparently there are three different methods of holding the racquet if you have a two-handed forehand and backhand. I know a lot of WW users hit a two-handed backhand. I don't know if any of them use a two-handed forehand so I have not gotten any feed back. I don't know why it should make any difference with the WW on the handle if you use two-hands off both sides. Why don't you try it and let me know? That way if the question comes up again I can say, well, John tried it and he loved it or maybe, he hated it. Oh no, I would hope not.

Thanks for your kind words the "unique innovation." It has been a lot of fun and I have met a lot of wonderful people. It may be a small group but heck they are not customers, they are family to me.
 

Sixpointone

Professional
Hi Tim Tennis,

If I do try out the Wonder Wedge, I'd certainly be more than happy to offer you my feedback on it.

I am just hesitant to ever change the set up of my equipment. I've been using the same Racquet since 1996 and I enjoy it so much that last year I had some of them Professionally Customized, included having new Handles molded onto the Frame. And if in theory I were to change Grips over, I'd feel the need to have everything Professionally Weighted, Balanced etc..

Having said that, to both learn and experience more, I often like to Demo Frames, just so I can see how it feels. And in that same school of thought, I'll likely have to try out the WW sooner or later.

And as I say, if I do, I'd gladly let you know how it works for me.

Regards,
John
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
John,

You will probably end up trying it. It has captured your imagination. You are just going to keep thinking about it.

"I am just hesitant to ever change the set up of my equipment. I've been using the same Racquet since 1996 and I enjoy it so much that last year I had some of them Professionally Customized, included having new Handles molded onto the Frame. And if in theory I were to change Grips over, I'd feel the need to have everything Professionally Weighted, Balanced etc.."

Wow, so just how good are you. Those have got to be your babies. I am friends with the "Racquet Doctor" in Atlanta, he does this type of customization. In fact we have a annual ALTA team reunion every year, he came and gave me a Dunlop 200, made exactly to James Blakes specifications with new pallets. James had even autographed it. I was blow away. That was the first time I met him in person.

When you reach the level that your game is on it is so hard to try something new. If it is not broke, why fix it. I understand that.

"And as I say, if I do, I'd gladly let you know how it works for me." That is a great idea. Put it on a demo. Practice, experiment, maybe even with a grip you don't use now. If you use it long enough you will notice just how easy it is to move from grip to grip. Leave it on the demo, see it the pro notices, that would be interesting. LOL Feedback, I love it.

Eagle, how are you doing? Is Kim going to win the AO.

Regards,

Ed
 

Sixpointone

Professional
Hi Ed,

Truth be told, I am a solid player. But I am far from a Professional.

It is just that I am a creature of habit. For example, if I go to a restaurant, I almost always stick with the same few selections. And the same seems to hold true with my Tennis Racquet. When I swing with it, it feels more like an extension of my arm than anything else.

That is why when the Racquet was discontinued, some time ago, I bought a stockpile of the Frame. And last year, after having some extra money, I decided to have some Customized to the same specs of one of my Sticks I had added a little bit of Lead Tape too, and really enjoyed and enjoy.

For all of those reasons, when I play, good or bad, my Racquet is one less variable that I have to worry about on the Court. So whereas many might blame their equipment, I feel sticking with my same set up allows me to concentrate on the On Court aspect.

That aside, the Equipment end of Tennis fascinates me. It is why from time to time I'll demo Racquets and such. I do so, not so much looking for a Holy Grail, because to me I've found mine. But rather I do so as I enjoy seeing what is on the market, and how it feels to Swing with.

I think it is for that reason that the Wonder Wedge appeals to me. It is certainly an interesting breakthrough in Tennis technology. And although it is nice to read about such things, there is nothing like firsthand experience.

But once again, though my game is overall consistent, I must once again say that I am far from a Pro. Rather I am just a guy who both loves Tennis as well as my Racquet.

I hope my ramblings made some sense.

All My Best,
John
 

eagle

Hall of Fame
Hi Ed,

Doing just fine. Thanks.

Can't imagine playing without the wonder wedge after close to a year now of using it.

r,
eagle
 

pro_staff

Semi-Pro
i'm sort of confused. if you use a two-handed backhand, do you cut it so it only fits your dominant hand and the other hand is holding just the original grip?

and also, did you guys take off the factory grip and put WW on over the bare grip then put an overgrip? or put the WW over the factory grip then wrapped an overgrip over it?
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
pro_staff said:
i'm sort of confused. if you use a two-handed backhand, do you cut it so it only fits your dominant hand and the other hand is holding just the original grip?

and also, did you guys take off the factory grip and put WW on over the bare grip then put an overgrip? or put the WW over the factory grip then wrapped an overgrip over it?
Hello Pro Staff,

Some people do put the WW over the factory grip. Not recommended unless you want to really build up the grip size.

This link might help.

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com/attach_tennis.html

Thanks for asking.

Ed
 
How do you cut your WW?

What do you use to cut your WW? I tried with a razor and it came out kind of jagged/crooked. Thanks.
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
bounce-hit said:
What do you use to cut your WW? I tried with a razor and it came out kind of jagged/crooked. Thanks.
It is difficult to cut the Sorbothane smoothly. Just use a sharp knief, short strokes and don't push down to hard. You should be able to get a pretty clean cut like this.
 

Pomeranian

Semi-Pro
I might be interested in getting one. But I have a concern about one thing. I flip my racquets in between points and before my serve as a ritual. So do you think that it might throw me off having to adjust my racquet handle to where the WW was placed? Or do you think that it would be an easy transition and I would get used to it?

Another question or a more general one for anyone who has experience with this, I have some pain on my hand, dominant right hand, below the base of my pinky. I might have been hit there but I don't remember but my concern is if becomes a chronic problem because of incorrect technique or hand position. I don't really think that it has to do with my grips because I use a continental for serves, eastern backhand grip for my 1 hander, and semi-western for my forehand. My hand positions are the same as the ones in this website. http://tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?si...d=&tier=4&id=E0E25DFF246E45A4A9D6F005280C53F2
So do you think that this pain has to do with my grip size? I use a 4 1/2 grip for a couple months that feels very comfortable but maybe over time has caused this pain?
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
Pomeranian said:
I might be interested in getting one. But I have a concern about one thing. I flip my racquets in between points and before my serve as a ritual. So do you think that it might throw me off having to adjust my racquet handle to where the WW was placed? Or do you think that it would be an easy transition and I would get used to it?

Another question or a more general one for anyone who has experience with this, I have some pain on my hand, dominant right hand, below the base of my pinky. I might have been hit there but I don't remember but my concern is if becomes a chronic problem because of incorrect technique or hand position. I don't really think that it has to do with my grips because I use a continental for serves, eastern backhand grip for my 1 hander, and semi-western for my forehand. My hand positions are the same as the ones in this website. http://tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?si...d=&tier=4&id=E0E25DFF246E45A4A9D6F005280C53F2
So do you think that this pain has to do with my grip size? I use a 4 1/2 grip for a couple months that feels very comfortable but maybe over time has caused this pain?
That is so funny. You would not believe how many times I get that question. I am sure a lot of people have not tried it because of that concern. My usual answer is it is a totally useless exercise and you don't need to do it, which is a little harsh. Like you said it is a ritual and probably helps you relax. It will feel strange spinning the racquet in your hand with the WW. One suggestion is that instead of spinning the racquet in your hand just change grips back and forth between your primary forehand and backhand grip. That is a great exercise anyway. I am sure that most people do spin their racquets to some extent and that does not to seem to be a problem with them.

Sorry about the hand pain. You might try going to each of the grips you use and applying pressure against the racquet face. This might help you locate the grip that might be giving you the problem. Like you mentioned, changing grip size, it just might move the pressure point points slightly and may help. Who knows?

Thanks for asking about spinning the racquet.
 

Indiantwist

Semi-Pro
Tim Tennis said:
That is so funny. You would not believe how many times I get that question. I am sure a lot of people have not tried it because of that concern. My usual answer is it is a totally useless exercise and you don't need to do it, which is a little harsh. Like you said it is a ritual and probably helps you relax. It will feel strange spinning the racquet in your hand with the WW. One suggestion is that instead of spinning the racquet in your hand just change grips back and forth between your primary forehand and backhand grip. That is a great exercise anyway. I am sure that most people do spin their racquets to some extent and that does not to seem to be a problem with them.

Sorry about the hand pain. You might try going to each of the grips you use and applying pressure against the racquet face. This might help you locate the grip that might be giving you the problem. Like you mentioned, changing grip size, it just might move the pressure point points slightly and may help. Who knows?

Thanks for asking about spinning the racquet.

I spin the racquet with WW just fine. one will get used to it. The only thing i didnt like about WW was , once WW is on the racquet, you cant interchange the sides. Ie you always have to serve/play with that side of racquet.
 

Tim Tennis

Professional
Hi IndianTwist,

I knew we had some racquet spinners out there.

You said, "The only thing i didnt like about WW was , once WW is on the racquet, you cant interchange the sides. Ie you always have to serve/play with that side of racquet."

Have had a few questions about that too. You and I might have discussed that. I think some people were concerned that it might wear out the strings faster. Which I have no idea if that in itself caused it. Have had some people comment they thought they were wearing out strings quicker but they were tickled to death because they were getting so much more action on the ball. I also had some comments that it you hit a topspin forehand and a topspin backhand you are pushing the strings in the some direction which is true. Had a great costomer from the UK who had a problem with that. I told him to quit buying those cheap strings, get some polys. He did and did not have any problem after that. Even with a std. racquet handle a lot of people do the same thing.

Thanks for the comments.
 

Indiantwist

Semi-Pro
Tim Tennis said:
Hi IndianTwist,

I knew we had some racquet spinners out there.

You said, "The only thing i didnt like about WW was , once WW is on the racquet, you cant interchange the sides. Ie you always have to serve/play with that side of racquet."

Have had a few questions about that too. You and I might have discussed that. I think some people were concerned that it might wear out the strings faster. Which I have no idea if that in itself caused it. Have had some people comment they thought they were wearing out strings quicker but they were tickled to death because they were getting so much more action on the ball. I also had some comments that it you hit a topspin forehand and a topspin backhand you are pushing the strings in the some direction which is true. Had a great costomer from the UK who had a problem with that. I told him to quit buying those cheap strings, get some polys. He did and did not have any problem after that. Even with a std. racquet handle a lot of people do the same thing.

Thanks for the comments.
After a year with WW , It (playing one sided) is no longer an issue to me. I also agree with quality string part. I earlier used some crappy strings and they broke too soon. Now i use Aloo Power and they are awesome.

What i really meant was , it was a Distinctive change from what i used to do earlier with out WW and it took me sometime to get out of that notion.

Nothing comes for free in this world. For all the things that are gained with WW, playing on one side is a minor deal.

Also, being a cheap skate i am, I just apply a lil paper glue on the factory grip and then have WW on it and apply the overgirp over it. So if string life is that big of a deal , i can always remove overgrip and move WW to otherside in less than 2 minutes (no big deal between matches).
 

eagle

Hall of Fame
I too am a racquet spinner, guilty as charged. :)

Over time, and it doesn't take that long, you learn the "home" position on the grip and end up to that position after spinning the racquet.

r,
eagle
 

Pomeranian

Semi-Pro
Tim Tennis said:
That is so funny. You would not believe how many times I get that question. I am sure a lot of people have not tried it because of that concern. My usual answer is it is a totally useless exercise and you don't need to do it, which is a little harsh. Like you said it is a ritual and probably helps you relax. It will feel strange spinning the racquet in your hand with the WW. One suggestion is that instead of spinning the racquet in your hand just change grips back and forth between your primary forehand and backhand grip. That is a great exercise anyway. I am sure that most people do spin their racquets to some extent and that does not to seem to be a problem with them.

Sorry about the hand pain. You might try going to each of the grips you use and applying pressure against the racquet face. This might help you locate the grip that might be giving you the problem. Like you mentioned, changing grip size, it just might move the pressure point points slightly and may help. Who knows?

Thanks for asking about spinning the racquet.
Thank you for your response. My hand pain is gone, I think it may have just been sore for some reason, I'm glad. The WW seems like a very helpful product and with the cost of only 10 dollars and a good refund policy, I might as well just try it.
 
Top