Info on Coaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Talk Tennis Australia' started by Josh_UK, Dec 1, 2017.

  1. Josh_UK

    Josh_UK New User

    Dec 1, 2017
    Hello all,

    I'm new to the site and have already spent most of my day on here!

    I'm just looking for a bit of info about coaching in Australia... my partner and I are moving there late next year/early 2019 for a year (to begin with at least), and will be staying in Torquay with close friends until we find a place in Melbourne. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I have about coaching in Australia that I can compare to working in London;

    What are the standard coaching hours for term time coaching? Will I be able to take days off?
    How much can a coach expect to earn per hour for groups and individuals?
    Is there a lot of work for tennis coaches in the Melbourne area? And if so, English ones?

    To give you something to go by, I'm currently an LTA Level 4 Senior Club Coach and will hopefully have taken my Tutoring course by then as well.

    Apologies for the long post and all the questions, but I hope you can appreciate that I'm extremely excited by the prospect of coaching in Australia, but I need to have a good idea of what it will be like and if I'll be able to do it.

    Many thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.
  2. @Crisp

    Torquay is really nice, I lived there for a few years when I was a surf bum. Take your surfboard and spear fishing gear with you LOL.
  3. Username_

    Username_ Semi-Pro

    Feb 14, 2012
    In Melbourne you'll find coaches doing group lessons of around $10-$20 per person (group of 4-6, depending on the coach) for around 45-60 minutes (depending on coach again).

    Private lessons $40-$60 an hour (for indivduals, or semi-private (2 people)).

    So around ~$40AU hour in the very least.

    Coaches usually start around 4pm earliest because that's when kids from school finish class. (Some around 3:45pm).

    Depending on how many students coaches get, they can be at the courts coaching from 4pm - 9pm.

    4 days a week coaching on weekdays is common. Weekends are sometimes reserved for competitions, but coaching does happen for some clubs so this is up to your boss/if you feel like working on weekends.

    Not sure what you mean by English coaches, but if you're referring to being able to speak fluent English then its not one of your top priorities.

    If you plan on coaching kids, you'll need some form of evidence like a 'Working with Children Check'. Just think of this as a certificate that qualifies you to work with the young ones.
  4. Josh_UK

    Josh_UK New User

    Dec 1, 2017

    Thank you so much for this, very useful.

    What I meant by English coaches was whether there is work available for coaches from the UK and if clubs will employ coaches on a Working Holiday VISA baring in mind the restrictions that go with it. I didn’t explain that very well but hopefully that made sense?

    Would I need a Working with Children Check from Australia? I have one in England as we need the same thing, as well as a safeguarding certificate, but I’m guessing I’d have to get the Australian approved certificates?

    Finally, I’m hoping my English qualifications would be recognised and transfer across to the Australian equivalent. Can I submit my current qualifications in order to know what the equivalent would be in Australia?

    Thanks again for the help!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Username_

    Username_ Semi-Pro

    Feb 14, 2012
    Haha, a bloke from England doubting his english speaking abilities AHAHAH

    Of course you can get hired based on that.
    Seriously speaking, im not aware of the laws regarding workimg VISAs here, but i do have a friend from Japan on a student VISA and he's been coaching kids for almost 12 months now.
    His English qualifications are without doubt no higher than yours (would be more correct to say he's at the level where he's barely able to carry out casual conversation, so no worries in this area for you).
    As for whether you can submit your Working with Children's Check from the UK for Australia, I'm not sure about this one as i haven't read about it. But you can try applying and asking if they do. If they allow it, great! If not, you've only lost a few minutes of your life.

    You can work on a holiday VISA

    Your English ability is more than sufficient...

    Apply for coaching before (potentially) wasting more time on obtaining another Working with Children's Check on top of your one from the UK.

    Oh btw, the pay rates i listed above in my previous post are the general pay rates in Melbourne for coaching. Can't say for anywhere else in Australia.

Share This Page