Main Difference Between Europe and USA

spaceman_spiff

Hall of Fame
It's not nice to taunt people with what they are missing. Some people ask me why I leave so often to live in other countries. I should just carry this picture in my wallet. I wouldn't have to say a word, just show the picture.
 

dmastous

Professional
In Europe they also speak a number of different languages.
We here the USA are tied to only one.....
Spanish.....;)
 

POGO

Hall of Fame
dmastous said:
In Europe they also speak a number of different languages.
We here the USA are tied to only one.....
Spanish.
Hhahahhahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:
 

POGO

Hall of Fame
Hey Everyone!!!! Give it up for Capt. Willie!!! Capt. Willie is in the HOUSE!!!! :)
 

armand

Banned
Capt. Willie said:
they got the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the **** a Quarter Pounder is.
And in America they got the imperial system. An inch is larger than a cm, a mile is longer than than a km etc. They got larger cars, larger land etc. But I didn't know they like their women so large! Now I'm beginning to understand the popularity of Oprah Winfrey.
Well, as long as everyone's happy, who can complain?
 

dmastous

Professional
Capt. Willie said:
they got the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the **** a Quarter Pounder is.
Everyone knows what a Quarter Pounder is. McDonalds owns the world. Do they call it a..... 113 gram-er everywhere else?
 

arky-tennis

Semi-Pro
In my world, measurements are obselete.

Why I want to move to Europe.

And, No hablo espanol... actually I speak POCO spanish
 

Jonnyf

Legend
nah they call them quarter pounders here and they are eaten over here but i hate them im really picky about my food
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
We in Europe have the metric system, much more logical than your imperial system. Our euro is worth more than your dollar. We have many, many beautiful languages. You have just one, or maybe two with Spanish. We Europeans actually speak more than one language. Within 1000 kilometers, there are many beautiful countries within reach. We Europeans are not as unhealthy as Americans, but I think that will come.
 

Return_Ace

Hall of Fame
Don't be so stereotypical Willie, the absolutely amzing British still use some imperial measurements, 60mph etc... and yes, we do know what a quarter pounder is....

other than that...

ROFLMFAO @ POGO, thank you for always giving me something to laugh at on the board POGO.
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
Return_Ace said:
Don't be so stereotypical Willie, the absolutely amzing British still use some imperial measurements, 60mph etc... and yes, we do know what a quarter pounder is....

other than that...

ROFLMFAO @ POGO, thank you for always giving me something to laugh at on the board POGO.
Yes the British are a bit foulish. They don`t have the euro, they don`t have the metric system in full use and they don`t want to pay more money to the EU. They`re outstanders, not real Europeans.
 

Ash_Smith

Legend
We don't want the Euro because we don't want our interest rates set by Brussels, we don't have the metric system in full use because we are a bit wierd in that respect - something about butchers and traditions, and we don't want to pay money in to the EU we actually want back the 8 Billion that is owed to us (and all the fish that the spanish fishermen stole!! but let's not go there!!) As for languages most European countries have one national language (with the exception of Holland, Switzerland and some others) and most of the others have English as a second language anyway. The biggest difference between Europe and the US is that Europe is where the History comes from!!
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
I don`t know where you heard that Holland has more than one national language? Switzerland has French and German, Belgium has French, Dutch and German. Many Europeans don`t speak English..only the young people speak it, especially in the eastern european countries, where many people speak German or Russian as a second language.

Forget the "we against europe" thing. We must be Europe. Integrate. Let`s be one Europe.
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
Personally Dutch is my native language, and English, German, French, Latin and basic ancient Greek are the languages I learnt in highschool, although English is also taught in the 2 last grades of the elementary school.
 

armand

Banned
goober said:
That pic has been floating around the internet oh for about 5 years.
What are you saying? Are you saying that the Euro girl would be even sexier today while the American would have ballooned even more? I wish I had the answers.
 
B

Baseline Basher

Guest
I don't like America very much right now. Mostly because George Bush is 'pre-emptive striking' his way to butt-raping the world. F--k America. I'm moving to Switzerland.
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
Germany reporting here.

Yeah, that pic has indeed been floating around the net forever. I'm no big fan of the Euro. It may be strong, but its costing us a **** load of money to buy the everyday things.

For example: a nice meal at a restaurant once cost say 20 mark (10 Euros). Now, with the new currency, we pay around 15 Euros (30 mark)....see what I mean?

As for the metric system....way better than the imperial crap. I lived in NC, USA my whole life until a year ago....so I am still kinda used to using °F and mph, etc. Lets just say the metric is way better.

Wtf is wrong with you Brits? Lets unite this continent 100% (though I understand your not physically attached to our continent....your still with us!) Take up the Euro, contribute as much as your economy says ok, integrate, c'mon, do it! :)

As for the main difference between USA and Europe that I notice is here in Europe, I see NO pickup trucks! Well, very rarely. This is a big difference since where I lived back in the US, trucks were very very popular and can be seen anywhere you go. Here its all about the BMW's and Merc. which I can say I have a BMW that I love very much, but not when it consumes all that gas, which the gas prices between US and Europe are a whole 'nother conversation.
 

Kevin T

Hall of Fame
America is a melting pot (simplistic, I know) of cultures while Europe is a deli tray (see France recently). Europeans seem to love Big Bro government, while Americans are paranoid of government control of anything. Americans wear bright colors while Euros dress like they're going to a funeral. Euro tennis clothing is super cheesy, tight fitting junk. American tennis gear (Nike, New Balance, Adidas-Euro, yes but VERY Americanized) is nice and baggy without crazy color schemes. Americans shower daily. Euros shower weekly. Now take it easy, Euros! I was born in Germany, lived in Italy and have traveled throughout Europe. Just a little levity. Charles Barkley did make a comment on 'Costas Now' this week about Euros in the NBA not showering, as did Johnny Mac. Funny stuff.
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
Docalex: Du bist ein Deutscher?

Kevin T, you`re not right in many things. America wants to be the melting pot but it isn`t. We Europeans don`t love the Big Brother government, which country has the CIA? I`m a European and I shower daily, I don`t know what kind of people you meet with?
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
nickybol said:
Docalex: Du bist ein Deutscher?

Kevin T, you`re not right in many things. America wants to be the melting pot but it isn`t. We Europeans don`t love the Big Brother government, which country has the CIA? I`m a European and I shower daily, I don`t know what kind of people you meet with?
Yes, I am a German citizen. I was born here but moved to the US at an early age. But now i'm back, for a while anyway. I'll end up moving back to the US in like two years since that is where my life is...I have a life here of course, but its hard starting from scratch.
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
Kevin T said:
America is a melting pot (simplistic, I know) of cultures while Europe is a deli tray (see France recently). Europeans seem to love Big Bro government, while Americans are paranoid of government control of anything. Americans wear bright colors while Euros dress like they're going to a funeral. Euro tennis clothing is super cheesy, tight fitting junk. American tennis gear (Nike, New Balance, Adidas-Euro, yes but VERY Americanized) is nice and baggy without crazy color schemes. Americans shower daily. Euros shower weekly. Now take it easy, Euros! I was born in Germany, lived in Italy and have traveled throughout Europe. Just a little levity. Charles Barkley did make a comment on 'Costas Now' this week about Euros in the NBA not showering, as did Johnny Mac. Funny stuff.
As a fellow German, I am sorry to say you still hold the false belief that Europeans are weekly showerers. Maybe for some very and I mean VERY traditional old folks who still live in the dorfs (villages). Thats about as ignorant as you terming tight fitting sports clothing as "junk" because you "dislike" it.

I talked to a guy over here who asked me how the American males can wear those damn baggy shorts when swimming?! Then of course I have my American buddies who ask me how do European guys wear those tight ass speedos?! I wear the shorts, but do I call the other swimwear stupid for that? Nope. You should be a bit more acceptable to others and their ideas.
 

Phil

Hall of Fame
Kevin T said:
America is a melting pot (simplistic, I know) of cultures while Europe is a deli tray (see France recently). Europeans seem to love Big Bro government, while Americans are paranoid of government control of anything. Americans wear bright colors while Euros dress like they're going to a funeral. Euro tennis clothing is super cheesy, tight fitting junk. American tennis gear (Nike, New Balance, Adidas-Euro, yes but VERY Americanized) is nice and baggy without crazy color schemes. Americans shower daily. Euros shower weekly. Now take it easy, Euros! I was born in Germany, lived in Italy and have traveled throughout Europe. Just a little levity. Charles Barkley did make a comment on 'Costas Now' this week about Euros in the NBA not showering, as did Johnny Mac. Funny stuff.
The French have the worst reputation for not showering. So, not having any experience in France, I asked someone who worked there for a year if there's any truth to it. He said that if you take the Paris Metro, especially during rush hour in summer, you're liable to FAINT because of the stench. Then, I asked another person who is also very familiar with France, if there was any truth to this, and she said, most definitely. Now, this is second-hand info, so take it for what it's worth. I believe it, because I know these people. So, Europeans may have a lot to gripe about America, but the next time you're drinking your coffee (at Starbucks), after just having lunch (at Pizza Hut) and gone shopping (for new Levis and some iPod accessories), and are perusing the local paper for a good (Hollywood-made) film to take your date tonight, you might want to consider buying some of that American made Ivory Soap. Oh, and ladies (other than British), buy a razor, puhhhleeeeze!

I kid...kidding! I know, we're all fat...
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
SwissServe said:
FALSE! there are of course Italian and Romansh too... :)
Yes I knew about Romansh, but is Italian also an official language in Switzerland? Didn`t know that. Although many people in North-Italy speak German.
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
Phil said:
The French have the worst reputation for not showering. So, not having any experience in France, I asked someone who worked there for a year if there's any truth to it. He said that if you take the Paris Metro, especially during rush hour in summer, you're liable to FAINT because of the stench. Then, I asked another person who is also very familiar with France, if there was any truth to this, and she said, most definitely. Now, this is second-hand info, so take it for what it's worth. I believe it, because I know these people. So, Europeans may have a lot to gripe about America, but the next time you're drinking your coffee (at Starbucks), after just having lunch (at Pizza Hut) and gone shopping (for new Levis and some iPod accessories), and are perusing the local paper for a good (Hollywood-made) film to take your date tonight, you might want to consider buying some of that American made Ivory Soap. Oh, and ladies (other than British), buy a razor, puhhhleeeeze!

I kid...kidding! I know, we're all fat...
Your last sentence justifies and negates your others, so i'm cool. :)
 

Kevin T

Hall of Fame
Docalex,

Hence the word "levity". Thicken up that skin. Shall I kiss the owie? The "stank" topic is one I have experienced numerous times and I mentioned an interview with Barkley and Johnny Mac where they mentioned the same. Maybe it's not an issue of showering so much as an issue of deodorant?

Finally, I think another huge difference is music. Classical originated in the old world. That's fine and dandy. But all the decent music from the last century started in the States (jazz, blues, rock and roll, modern blue grass and country (all in the South, incidentally) and rap/hip hop). "That Jay Z is super cool, excellent, man...yes!?"
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
Kevin T said:
Docalex,

Hence the word "levity". Thicken up that skin. Shall I kiss the owie? The "stank" topic is one I have experienced numerous times and I mentioned an interview with Barkley and Johnny Mac where they mentioned the same. Maybe it's not an issue of showering so much as an issue of deodorant?

Finally, I think another huge difference is music. Classical originated in the old world. That's fine and dandy. But all the decent music from the last century started in the States (jazz, blues, rock and roll, modern blue grass and country (all in the South, incidentally) and rap/hip hop). "That Jay Z is super cool, excellent, man...yes!?"
Your absolutely right. IMO, the Europeans have no idea what good music is....well, unless they recognize it from the States. I listen to the radio over here and as you can imagine....they almost ONLY play American music...all in english of course, which they don't understand. They don't seem to get it. I am a music freak, I need music to live....my dad, grandma, grandpa...even some adults in their 30's just do not understand my upbringing and that I NEED music.

About the Deo. Your right on target with that too. I just got my mom to send me a shipment of good ole' American Deo from NC. I have tried two types of deo here....lets just say "wtf was that!". They don't work...simple as that.

If I could choose which lifestyle is better, it would be the way I lived over there in NC. But then again, i'm personally biased in my view since thats where I grew up my whole life. But of course, i could find some pro's of life over here....just give me a min or too to think. :)
 

nickybol

Semi-Pro
Yes it`s a shame, they only play music in the English language, but there`s so much beautiful Dutch music, French music, German music, and music in many other languages. But they just don`t play it. it`s a pity.
 

Docalex007

Hall of Fame
nickybol said:
Yes it`s a shame, they only play music in the English language, but there`s so much beautiful Dutch music, French music, German music, and music in many other languages. But they just don`t play it. it`s a pity.
Yeah, thats true....but these songs sound just like American songs only....they are in the native language of that country and the band is of that country.

Well, the best German band is actually one of my fav bands in the world. Rammstein. :)

I'm sure you've heard of them nickybol.
 

Kevin T

Hall of Fame
I hear you, Docalex. I just like giving the Euros a hard time. I love Europe, for the most part. Outside of Asheville, NC, my favorite places in the world are Ireland and Scotland. My Mom is a country girl from SW VA but she loves Germany almost as much as VA. My cousin translates for the military in Berlin and I'll be visiting next year. Maybe we'll cross paths.
 
Top