From their own FAQ section:I'll believe it when I see it on the court.
When will you have machines available to ship?
We are currently building a database of potential customers prior to a crowdfunding launch. After the crowdfunding campaign we anticipate 9 months to delivery.
A lot of crowdfunding campaigns are late to ship, and some do not ship at all. Are you any different?
Definitely. Because we’ve ramped and shipped product before. The prototype has been designed with manufacturability in mind, and almost all of the components are already being made by our production vendors. This isn’t some 3D printed hobby machine.
Other than the slinger, has there been any other notable crowd-funded ball machines?Also based on other crowd funded ball machines being years late...
I do not know. My guess is that it is expensive to make the parts smaller and lighter but just as strong. There are a bunch of brands out there but they all are pretty comparable from a parts perspective. You might see some movement if anyone was actually successful but none of them obviously see it as readable right now.Other than the slinger, has there been any other notable crowd-funded ball machines?
This also begs the question, why have some of the more notable companies like Lobster or Silent Partner not target the market for smaller, lighter, and more portable ball machines? There's clearly demand, is it due to lack of feasibility - or perhaps they've figured there isn't enough of a market worth the R&D using their own funds?
So still a 25% deposit, but I suppose nowhere as painful as all the people who put down full pre-orders for the slinger. I am still skeptical of the launch date (early next summer still sounds like fall of 2020, if not maybe just spring of 2021) but am optimistic that at least some type of product will come out since private investors can apply more pressure than a bunch of individuals.We have identified sufficient private investment to forgo the headache of crowdfunding, and have decided instead to take pre-order deposits directly through the Hydrogen Sports website. The deposit will be 25% of the purchase price, and is refundable should you change your mind prior to the final payment. When units are ready to ship, you will be asked for the remaining 75% payment. This will be spelled out officially in the terms and conditions of the pre-order page when it goes live, so please read them then.
Because we are not asking our pre-order customers to take the risk and financial commitment of a crowdfunding campaign, the early-bird price will be $1195 at launch, for a limited first run of units. However… since we did run ads for a $995 early-bird price (which may have enticed you to sign up!) we will honor that with a 1-day pre-pre-order sale at $995 (with 25% deposit) for those receiving this email. You will be emailed a link for purchasing before we begin to take orders. You are welcome to share this link with your friends, but we won’t otherwise promote sales at this price.
It’s taken some time to get the launch going, because we elected to focus on releasing the latest version of the design to our vendors first. They are now busy making parts while we get launching. This gives us more confidence in the cost and schedule, and gets us to shipping faster. The plan has us shipping the pre-order units early next summer (2020).