On a second serve, how hard do you hit it in comparison to your first serve? Technically speaking, I'm referring to how much work and energy do you put into hitting your second serve as opposed to first. A few months ago when I was playing in a match, I had struggled getting my second serve into the court. Then my opponent told me "why do you try to hit your 2nd serves so hard? You try to hit them as hard as your first". The ball placement on my 2nd serve is above my head, not into the court but I still give it the same energy and racket speed that I do my first serve. I was always under the impression that you hit your 2nd serve as hard as your first serve and that since the 2nd serve generates more spin than the first due to ball placement... that the spin created from the 2nd serve is just the velocity taken away from the first serve and turned into spin. What I'm asking is... First serve would be: 95% Flat and speed, with 5% spin 2nd serve would be 80% speed, with 20% spin Maybe not that extreme, but second serves are usually about 80% speed of a person's first serve. So i was thinking that the other 20% just converted to spin instead of velocity. So yeah, I'm just wondering if you're supposed to intentionally hit slower on a 2nd serve (racket speed wise), than your first.