Discussion in 'Odds & Ends' started by Dilettante, Mar 23, 2009.
1. Any player with more than 10% body fat: David Nalbandian is a fat man.
choked - vb. - What 90% of players did against federer during the 04-07 era
out of prime - n - 1. any number which is composite.
Prime - n. - Any player who reaches a Grand Slam final is considered to be in the "prime" of their life. See Usage Note: GameSampras's posts.
One handed Backhand
The greatest manly shot in tennis. Any male who hits a one handed backhand is instantly superior to any two handed backhand players
Two handed backhand
A shot for females and baseliners without talent
Possibly the greatest player of the decade, came into the Federer era and destoryed him on clay- labelled as a clay court player untill he raised his game onto other surfaces and owned everyone on them. currently invincle on clay, and the best player in the world on every other surface. will probably be seen as the clay court GOAT by the time he retires and possibly the GOAT himself. can beat Federer with his eyes closed
The worst player of the decade, sneaked into the Federer era and managed some ropey wins on clay using the one dimensional tactic of hitting to the federer backhand. can only play on clay- clay court specialist- which include the super slow green clay at wimbledon and the new blue clay at the AO- wins on clay only because the current era is the weakest clay court era of all time. wil never be considered as GOAT because his play style is too ugly.
Wait, Federer is considered past his prime despite making it to the final of the last 4 straight slams.
It's not about results but the quality of play to get those results.
nothing to contribute but just wanted to know what these posting terms meant
see them used all the time ..
I laughed at the Clay one.
Did you plagiarize this from http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=251731&highlight=dictionary?
1. Any surface on which Rafael Nadal wins a tournament. Clay can be red, blue, green, grey, low bouncing, high bouncing, with leaves on it or covered by cement (it doesn’t matter, clay’s still there).
Or did you just happen to have the same idea and decided to phrase it remarkably similarly? Or did you just feel that it was a generic way to put it and no citation was needed?
clearly plagiarized--not cool...
Greatest thread ever! More please!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:
My word suggestions;
No?, You know, retirement, in control, Match point, Break point, Weak era, Weak field, Weak competition, Potential, Future no.1, Future of tennis;-)
It's a complete coincidence! I had never read that thread but it seems so obvious I'm not surprised someone else came up with the same idea!
My word suggestions;
No?, You know, retirement, in control, Match point, Break point, Weak era, Weak field, Weak competition, Potential, Future no.1, Future of tennis
I believe it's just a coincidence. I'd have come up with the same idea and I know the others would too.
^ i would add " Future Top 10 " to that list :twisted:
GREAT idea for a thread. Being a professional writer, I love this stuff!!!
1. Interjective question requesting clarification of a line call.
2. Half-hopeful, half-accusatory question aimed at the idiot on the other side of the court who clearly needs glasses (if he doesn't already have glasses) or better glasses (if he already does have glasses).
1. Being in command of a tennis match.
2. The state your opponent was in before he choked.
3. The state you were in before your opponent cheated.
1. The point in a match where a player may win the championship.
2. The part of a tennis match off-limits to Anna Kournikova.
3. The most opportune moment to choke.
1. The point on which a serving player may lose the game.
2. For the serving player, the point arrived at after thousands of distractions, opponent's mindgames, overhead airplane flyovers, crickets chirping as he/she was about to serve, and slightly too much humidity (during that particular game).
3. For the receiver, the logical result of the serving player having choked.
1. A tournament field in which Federer should have easily won, but didn't (if a *******).
2. A tournament field in which Nadal should have easily won, but didn't (if a *******).
3. A tournament field that your favourite GOAT never faced.
1. The most abundant element in the universe.
2. What your favourite GOAT had, after he/she winds up never winning a tournament.
1. Any tennis player, amateur or professional, other than the player currently ranked number 1 in the world.
Future Top 10
1. Any tennis player, other than the players currently ranked number 1-10 in the world, who isn't really all that good.
Great contributions, canadave, keep em coming.
Could someone explain the term Richard Williams.
Hahaha, you could also say "the most abundant skill in tennis".
That's so great canadave - You rock!!
"overrated" and "underrated" too lol
heh, thanks guys (and thanks Dilettante for starting this thread in the first place).
1. Any tennis player ranked above your favourite tennis player.
2. Any professional tennis player who never played with a wooden racquet.
1. see "Potential" from earlier post.
2. Any tennis player who hasn't played anyone good yet.
3. your favourite tennis player.
1. A measurement of a racquet's relative weight as it is moved through the air.
2. A racquet measurement whose very definition is subject to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.
1. Distinguished international tennis tournament.
2. The jockstrap used by Mr. Davis, famous tennis player of the 1920's.
3. Excuse for nationalist drunkards who can't even comprehend how they arrived at the arena, let alone understand the tiebreaker rules of tennis, to come together to sing songs, hurl insults and objects, and generally cause as much international bad feeling as possible.
1. Article of clothing that covers the length of the legs, from the waist down to the feet.
2. Nadal's shorts.
3. The target a tennis player tries to repeatedly hit on his opponent (i.e. "He really beat the pants off that guy.")
1. Article used to carry tennis equipment to/from a venue.
2. A bottomless bag, larger on the inside than the outside, that defies physical laws by allowing an infinite number of items to be stuffed inside a finite space.
1. Any artificial addition that racquet manufacturers employ to improve racquet performance.
2. An intelligence test used to determine who on TTW has half a brain.
3. Any random assortment of letters associated with a racquet that is designed to instill a sense of awe by nature of its complete randomness.
4. What comes out the hind area of a bull.
^^ love the definitions for overrated and underrated!
Those are great!
OMG, my entry for sarcasm from a few weeks ago was deleted.
Did anyone see it? Why would that be deleted?!!
Brilliant, brilliant post!
Brilliant! Tennis nationality made me :twisted:
What does ROFL mean?
Rolling on floor laughing
I cried tears of win.
****, the redwings lost 2 matches vs the blues in stockholm, 3-4 and 3-5, they looked extremely slow and unmotivated, in front off lots of Swedish fans
What happens in the NHL thread STAYS in the NHL thread
Oh **** sorry, i thought it was the NHL-thread
lol epic fail!
uhm...yeah ok, its not like i detonated a bomb or anything
That is until I win and then it's everywhere!!!!! :twisted:
Don't worry about it
This thread deserves a bump. All new users should read this, sheer brilliance :lol:
Bumped for the absolute win this thread is.
hahaha too funny!! especially "between the legs smash" and definitions for cheating and annoying
1. poster on ttw, usually males aged 29-35, still living with parents, and nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet, who loves and admires everything the great roger federer does.
2. poster on ttw who hates and discredits rafael nadal
3. troll (according to *******s)
1.poster on ttw, usually males aged 12-15 or females 40 and older, with a 3rd grade reading level, and nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet, who loves and admires everything the great rafael nadal does.
2. poster on ttw who hates and discredits roger federer
3. troll (according to *******s)
That is very, very true.
"At his/her best" - a vague phrase often used to overhype lesser accomplished players to all time great status. (See: Safin/Nalbandian "at their best" are better than Federer)
Beautiful/Classic Game - term often used by 1HBH lovers to describe pros who use 1HBH. (Ex: Justine Henin plays such a beautiful game, I don't know who this guy is but he has a 1HBH so he plays a classic game, etc)
Talent - similar to "at his best", a term often used to overhype players that didn't accomplish as much as their fans would like them to to all time great status (Ex: Nalbandian/Safin are more talented than Federer, Gulbis has top 5 talent, etc)
Peak playing level
1. The level Marat Safin plays when he wins a match against Roger Federer
2. The level Roger Federer plays when he loses a match against Marat Safin.
1. Players that play tennis from the baseline.
2. All players today. Term does not apply to Roger Federer despite baseline play.
1. Common surface used for tennis tournaments. Extremely cost effective.
2. According to *******s, a surface that gives players AIDS.
1. According to *******s, ridiculously slow/green clay. It doesnt allow Federer to hit his crafty volleys and play his so called all court game.
2. According to *******s, exactly the same as old grass. Pros, spectators, analysts, etc. who claim it is slower are all Nadal haters that cant stand to see him win Wimbledon.
Court Suzanne Lenglen
1. One of the finest stadiums at Stade Roland Garros. Holds up to 10,000 spectators.
2. A court Rafa Nadal was dumped on as a part of a racist conspiracy by the French. Some expert *******s assume that the French carried out this horrific deed due to bitterness at the fact that they havent won a war in a million years.
^^ A little addition to yours.
1. What you get when a clay court is under the sun for two consecutive days.
2. New type of surface invented by Roland Garros organizers to prevent Rafael Nadal from winning the tournament.
3. A surface which can be easily recognized by the squeaky sounds it makes under the shoes of Richard Gasquet.
Court Suzanne Lenglen
1. According to the players, the slowest court in the world.
2. According to *******s, the first court where the red hardcourt surface was used.
Addition to that
"At his/her best"
b - Condition under which Rafael Nadal is Unbeatable by anyone else
c - Condition which eludes Rafael Nadal every time he loses. ex. RG2009 after steamrolling Lleyton Hewitt; Queens proir to be ousted by his towel boy Feliciano Lopez
Felipo Lopez : Unknow player who apparently wears Spanish sports gear Joma and presented to the TTW community by the wise fellow poster Dr. Fedace.
Presumed to play by the Stanford University tennis team and be team mate to the good Dr. and Stanford's last season star Alex Clayton
Separate names with a comma.