Tommy Robredo vs Roger Federer (analysis)

gugafanatic

Hall of Fame
4-0 in Feds favour, including an impressive 6-1, 6-1 win at Rome in 03.

I think Robredo is going to be stern test for Federer. He has made the quarters at RG, and is a well established clay courter. I think he has the weapons to take Fed out. Furthermore, he must be full of confidence after an emphatic win over Guga.
 

daniel_rst

Rookie
gugafanatic said:
I think Robredo is going to be stern test for Federer. He has made the quarters at RG, and is a well established clay courter. I think he has the weapons to take Fed out. Furthermore, he must be full of confidence after an emphatic win over Guga.
Just because Robredo beat up on your good buddy Guga doesn't mean he has much of a chance against Federer. Robredo has only taken 1 set of Federer in 5 tries, and that set was in 2002. Coming in to this tournament, Robredo lost his last 4 ATP matches on clay, not having a win since the first round of Bastad in July 2004. Like you mentioned, last time they played on clay, Federer won 6-1, 6-1.

What on Earth makes you think this will be a stern test for Federer?
 
T

TwistServe

Guest
AJK1 said:
Gugafanatic, you need to find a new player to be fanatical about, he's a hasbeen!
Gugafanatic should change his name to one of the follow, depending on who he likes best:

HewittLover
FedererFan
RoddickSuker
DownWithNadal
SafinEggHead
 

gugafanatic

Hall of Fame
guga will always remain a fans faviorite. I enjoy watching him play despite hes recent poor results. Perhaps the beauty and prestige of RG will inspire him to play memorable tennis again? who knows. Guga is a shadow of the player that he once was, but I am optimistic about hes chances at RG if he passes the early stages. Maybe oneday we shall surf on the shores of Rio and be good friends. I want Guga to be at the level he was in 2000, he should throw caution to the hip and go into RG trying to blow oppponents off the court.

btw Guga has more Grand slams then Safin,Roddick, Hewitt, Henman, Moya, Nalbandian, Ferrero, Coria. He will always be remembered as a greater player then hes adverseries.
 
T

TwistServe

Guest
gugafanatic said:
btw Guga has more Grand slams then Safin,Roddick, Hewitt, Henman, Moya, Nalbandian, Ferrero, Coria. He will always be remembered as a greater player then hes adverseries.
Indeed, winning 3 FOs is quite an accomplishment. Three FOs is a lot harder than 3 wimbledons, 3 AOs, and 3 USOs because the FO is just too much competition, and anyone can get upset so easily!
 

rhubarb

Hall of Fame
TwistServe said:
Indeed, winning 3 FOs is quite an accomplishment. Three FOs is a lot harder than 3 wimbledons, 3 AOs, and 3 USOs because the FO is just too much competition, and anyone can get upset so easily!
But the reverse is more logical: due to the stiff competition, top players get knocked out sooner and therefore you're more likely to get through a draw without having to play one of them. So it's *easier* ;)
 
gugafanatic said:
4-0 in Feds favour, including an impressive 6-1, 6-1 win at Rome in 03.

I think Robredo is going to be stern test for Federer. He has made the quarters at RG, and is a well established clay courter. I think he has the weapons to take Fed out. Furthermore, he must be full of confidence after an emphatic win over Guga.
What weapons to take Fed out? The same weapons that see him regularly lose 6-2 sets to Federer, Agassi, Roddick, and Safin? The weak serve and overly spun groundstrokes.
 
gugafanatic said:
btw Guga has more Grand slams then Safin,Roddick, Hewitt, Henman, Moya, Nalbandian, Ferrero, Coria. He will always be remembered as a greater player then hes adverseries.
You dont know if he will have more slams than Safin, Roddick, or Hewitt, by the time they retire though do you. Do you know Kuerten will win any more slams given his physical problems? Is it that hard to believe Roddick could win 3 more to gain 4(Kuerten has 3), or Safin 2 more to gain 4(1 more than Kuerten again). I doubt Hewitt could win 2 more with his lack of firepower, but he is so inconsistent you could not discount him winning a couple more, when the big guns who overpower him regularly go out early.
 

Noelle

Hall Of Fame
SMASHER said:
It was nice to see Fed come up to net often.
Yes, he's got a great net game and he seems to be putting it through some match practice. He's honing it for use in his big matches later this year, it seems. I think THAT'S why he hired Tony Roche.
 
Top