Too big of a grip size

Discussion in 'Racquets' started by jeefreak, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. jeefreak

    jeefreak New User

    Sep 6, 2005
    I was given a used racquet - about 8 years old now. The length, size, weight of the racquet I like, but the grip is too big. I do not know if this is possible, but the butt cap is labeled P5 (Prince), does this mean it is 5"? Huge grip? Is there anyway I can get this reduced? Can I just sand down grip to a size I like and apply a coating to protect the wood or get it professionally done? Thanks!
  2. diredesire

    diredesire Adjunct Moderator

    Mar 16, 2004
    The answer is: Depends.

    I'm assuming since your handle looks like wood, it's probably PU foam. This type of grip is easily sanded down, it's probably best to check out some local tennis shops and see if they offer this service. At any rate, you'll probably need to buy a new buttcap (probably again available through your local tennis shop)..

    You can do a quick search on handle sanding/reducing to get more info on this. If you still have any specific questions shoot 'em here and i'll do my best to answer.
  3. Court_Jester

    Court_Jester Hall of Fame

    Jan 16, 2006
    It's probably the equivalent of today's L5 or 4 5/8". It's just a guess.
  4. It's a size 5 (4 5/8"), equivalent to today's and yesterday's size 5 (4 5/8").

Share This Page