What the heck did Gaudio just try to do???? "Spoiler"

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
Down game point in the middle of the 2nd set, Gaudio tries to hit a between the legs passing shot inside the service line? The ball sat up for him inside the service line and he could have hit an easy forehand anywhere he wanted to for an easy winner to stay in the game, instead he runs up and trips over himself attempting to hit it between his legs? And loses the game when he's already down a break? That's something I might have expected from Safin (before Lundgren), but not anyone else on tour. :confused:
 

FiveO

Hall of Fame
Unbelievable, especially after battling as hard as he did up to that point. If he was older I would have thought Gaudio had a stroke (CVA) while running to retrieve Agassi's shot. One of the strangest things I've seen. Youth?
 

Kevin Patrick

Hall of Fame
I didn't see the Agassi match, but Gaudio has done this before.
He played Ginepri in Cincinnati in '03. Ginepri hit a volley Gaudio ran up & tried a between the legs passing shot. He was blatantly tanking up to that point. Brad Gilbert was doing commentary & said "If I was his coach & he did that, I'd make him do 20 pushups right then."
 

Andy Hewitt

Professional
Kevin Patrick said:
I didn't see the Agassi match, but Gaudio has done this before.
He played Ginepri in Cincinnati in '03. Ginepri hit a volley Gaudio ran up & tried a between the legs passing shot. He was blatantly tanking up to that point. Brad Gilbert was doing commentary & said "If I was his coach & he did that, I'd make him do 20 pushups right then."
Yeah like who the hell would pay a coach to make them do 20 push-ups.

Hah! No wonder Roddick fired him.
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
Andy Hewitt said:
Yeah after seeing the clip, you guys seemed to really exagerate it. Looked like he did overrun it.
No. If you saw the entire point and saw the sitter that Agassi hit and that Gaudio had all day to get to that ball and hit a forehand winner, you'll see that he DID NOT overrun it. It only looks like he overran it in the isolated clip of him trying to hit that shot because he had to slow way down and then he sort of hopscotched his way to the ball, and then tripped over his own legs trying to slow down enough to get the ball and his racquet between his legs! If you could see where Agassi hit the ball, you'll see that Gaudio could have gotten to it in plenty of time even if he hopped there on one leg and still had enough time to hit a normal forehand winner.

Geez, didn't Gaudio see the tape of the Federer-Safin Aussie Open semifinal?
 

Kobble

Hall of Fame
Orginally Posted by:
Yeah after seeing the clip, you guys seemed to really exagerate it. Looked like he did overrun it.
Patrick went as far as to call it unprofessional.
 

tetsuo10

Rookie
I want to say he was trying to fake out Agassi by pretending to go up the line and then go cross court, but he didn't even feint up the line.
 

FiveO

Hall of Fame
BreakPoint said:
No. If you saw the entire point and saw the sitter that Agassi hit and that Gaudio had all day to get to that ball and hit a forehand winner, you'll see that he DID NOT overrun it. It only looks like he overran it in the isolated clip of him trying to hit that shot because he had to slow way down and then he sort of hopscotched his way to the ball, and then tripped over his own legs trying to slow down enough to get the ball and his racquet between his legs! If you could see where Agassi hit the ball, you'll see that Gaudio could have gotten to it in plenty of time even if he hopped there on one leg and still had enough time to hit a normal forehand winner.

Geez, didn't Gaudio see the tape of the Federer-Safin Aussie Open semifinal?
Exactly.

Up to that point Gaudio had the "old man" huffing and puffing, with a real concerned look on his face.

After that Agassi looked 10 years younger because he knew Gaudio quit. A shame, on several levels.
 

BERDI4

Semi-Pro
That's typical of Gaudio. He has all the talent but has no head. He tries the most difficult shot on the worst moment. And the when he gives up.
 

pound cat

G.O.A.T.
"Gaudio tries to hit a between the legs passing shot " Whats even worse is that Federer did the same thing on match point AO 05 and lost the match to Safin. So big deal with Gaudio. Even the "greatest" do stupid things.
 

Marius_Hancu

Talk Tennis Guru
Well, to me it was clearly showing Gaudio had given up on the match by that point in time mentally, but still wanted to rankle Agassi with something strange.

They threw stuff at each other, lots of dropshots, during today's match, thus part of the mental game today was to ridicule the other a bit.

I remember seeing Lendl playing a behind the back volley to Edberg in the great 1991 USO SF, which Edberg won 3-0, after playing the same type of volley back to Ivan, not to be outdone.
 

USCfan

Professional
It was a terrible idea...even if it went over, Agassi would have returned it...
He should have just crushed it.
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
joeman957 said:
That is so true, I bet if Gaudio made that shot and won the point everyone would make threads titled "OMG did you see the tweener by Gaudio?!!1" and everyone would talk about how awesome he was.
Wrong! Even if he had made that shot, my opinion of him would be the same as if he missed it. Whether he makes the shot, I would have thought "What an idiot for trying a shot like that when he had all the time in the world to crush a forehand anywhere."

If someone takes a hairpin turn along the side of a cliff at 80mph and lives, I would still think the guy's an idiot, just as if he got into an accident and rolled off the side of the cliff. A dumb decision is still a dumb decision no matter the outcome.
 

ty slothrop

Semi-Pro
pound cat said:
"Gaudio tries to hit a between the legs passing shot " Whats even worse is that Federer did the same thing on match point AO 05 and lost the match to Safin. So big deal with Gaudio. Even the "greatest" do stupid things.
uh, slight difference, federer did it chasing down a hell of a topspin lob and gaudio had an absolute sitter to the open court. plus, try hitting a tweener facing toward the back fence vs. facing toward the net and tell me which you can hit harder.
 

chad shaver

Semi-Pro
Marius_Hancu said:
Well, to me it was clearly showing Gaudio had given up on the match by that point in time mentally, but still wanted to rankle Agassi with something strange.

They threw stuff at each other, lots of dropshots, during today's match, thus part of the mental game today was to ridicule the other a bit.

I remember seeing Lendl playing a behind the back volley to Edberg in the great 1991 USO SF, which Edberg won 3-0, after playing the same type of volley back to Ivan, not to be outdone.
As I recall, Lendl stepped to the line to serve after Edberg hit his volley and said, "I guess everyone can hit that shot." I don't remember much humor out of Lendl, so that one stands out in my mind. That was an awesome display of tennis that day.
 

pound cat

G.O.A.T.
That lob was absolutely returnable with a forehand return, & Federer lost his chance to retain his AO title with that failed grandstand attempt. Agree, slight difference. In the grand scheme of tennis, Gaudios's tweener didn't mean much.
 

Safina

Semi-Pro
Fed was 95% lost on that point already, and could have tried a safer shot, but just went for the low percentage shot since he a) probably thinks he can never miss b) knew his other choices probably would just lead to a overhead smash by Safin anyway.

Gaudio's situation was totally different. He was running up to a HIGH sitter of a drop shot and had PLENTY of time to hit a multiple of shots. He and Agassi played a ton of dropshots, so maybe he just got mentally bored of chasing down drop shots since he likes to play behind the baseline anyway. Agassi would have KRUSHED that between the legs shot if he had made contact with it. Agassi's forehand volley was right there waiting for it.
Total bonehead manuever. In fact I wish he had made the shot so Agassi could have pelted him with it! The Gaudio match was interesting to watch because of all the dropshots, but I guess Gaston had enough of that and wanted to grab some dinner. Bizarre!
I wish I could have seen the NADAL/LUBIJCIC match instead....
 

BreakPoint

Bionic Poster
pound cat said:
That lob was absolutely returnable with a forehand return, & Federer lost his chance to retain his AO title with that failed grandstand attempt. Agree, slight difference. In the grand scheme of tennis, Gaudios's tweener didn't mean much.
I agree. It's much easier to hit a between the legs shot with your back facing the net than with your front facing the net. With your arms out in front, you can take almost a full swing between your legs and hit the ball with some pace with your back facing the net. Try that with your front facing the net like Gaudio did. Could only result in a weak shot or a drop shot since you would have to bring your arm around to your back and can only flick at the ball between your legs with your wrist. It would be impossible to take a full swing since your arms are just not long enough.
 

Goran

New User
I was watching the match and when I saw him try that, all I could think was, 'Yeah, that was dumb, but I would have done the same thing.' And I would have missed it too :p Goran, however, would have made it and called himself a genius :D
 

Astennix

Rookie
That's the way Gaudio is...at least he is trying to do something spectacular that will entertain people (as long as it works). Has obviously has courage to that in front of a crowd and against Agassi...Gaston just wants to enjoy playing, that's the way he is. I prefer that than watching boring players do the same thing over and over, without even a smile on their faces. Grosjean was another player that pulled this type of cracy/spectacular shots during matches...
 
Top