What type of serve?

Discussion in 'Tennis Tips/Instruction' started by Pyro, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Pyro

    Pyro Rookie

    Feb 21, 2004
    For my second serve, I usually hit a regular kick serve, but my coach hit a serve which was a little different. Well, it works on the ad and deuce court, but just so you can imagine what it is, the serve bounced in the outside corner of the box in the deuce court and then it curved and kicked to the left( in ad court it bounced in the outside left corner and then it kicked to the right). I'm pretty sure it's an american twist serve or some variation of slice and kick, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the official "name" of the serve and how I could hit a serve like that, thanks for your time.
  2. Stitch626

    Stitch626 Rookie

    Feb 19, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it is called the American Twist or just Twist. And to hit it, instead of brushing the ball from the 6 to 12 o'clock like your kick serve.... brush the ball more 7 to 1 o'clock. For additional help with it, ask your coach.
  3. crvw

    crvw Guest

    This is my bread and butter second serve on medium hardcourts and in social doubles. It's kind of like tennis' version of the screwball. It takes some practice to learn the right arm motion and torque, but you'll get 3 or 4 free points on anybody who hasn't seen it before. Your opponent may even accidently step in front of the ball and get hit. But overuse it against a good western grip player and you will be eaten alive. I'd recommend going back to tennis books published in the 70's for more information-- the American Twist is a lost art!
  4. Kirko

    Kirko Hall of Fame

    Feb 18, 2004
    Yeah thats an American Twist ; you can really cruise thru guys who don't konw how to crack it while its coming off the serve box ; eventually as you progress & play better players it just becomes a very safe way to deliver a 2nd serve. Took me long time to perfect it & lessons but it was worth it.

Share This Page