Discussion in 'General Pro Player Discussion' started by jayoub95, Mar 21, 2012.
Post the best vids of pros smashing their racquets.
Baghdatis. No question.
The way he took each one out and smashed it was beautiful.
forgot to add Andy Roddick in the poll. He has a good one at number 7 in the video.
Roddicks best racquet smash..
JohanKriek, by a mile.
He could smash a racket just by hitting the tennis ball to try to win a point. No need for ground assistance for him.
I love the Baghdatis and Gonzales smashes.
The Federer smash was quite good too, but the biggest thing about that was how unexpected it was, and also how brutal. That racquet was totalled.
Ok, having actually watched the video, LOL at Baghdatis smashing 4 in a row! :lol:
Problem with Marcos is that he needed a full swing.
Kriek could snap a racket with a casual flick of his wrist, totally aplomb, and relaxed as can be.
It's always entertaining to see Federer smash a racquet because he hardly does..
Vera's was pretty good. She really got into it
LOL, I like how a lot of the commentators mentioned Gonzalez.
I loved the way Federer tossed that racquet to the side of the court. Total bad ass!
Federer's, not only because it was so uncharacteristic, but because in one fell swoop he completely totaled the racket. No second swing necessary. It's not as epic when you have to bash it against the ground like 4 times.
Agreed. Feds can really surprise you with his anger sometimes.
baggy was hilarious, just destroying one after the other haha.
Youzhny was good but more for the damage to his head than the racquet...
Federer's was good. Don't think Safin's was that good in the vid... I'm disapointed haha
Baghy did it for This poll.
Feds, Baggy and Safin all tied up on 7 votes each. Interesting
Did Youzhny get a racket abuse? I love how he took it out on himself.
He's a bloody soldier.... a bleeding forehead doesn't bother him lol
I guess we get to see if the TW board rule about Fed winning all polls holds true in this case too, haha.
Anyone who can destroy a racquet in one extremely quick motion has major skills in that department. The fastest wrist snaps seem to be Safin, Roddick, Gonzalez, and Federer. I would go with Federer's or Gonzo's, as they looked the most epic. Roddick's smash looked like a whiny flail, and it bounced up kind of funny.
Marat Safin does it casually lol.
I swear sometimes people just choose Federer regardless of the poll (unless it degrades Fed of course) and then come up with some serious sounding post to justify their choice. Uncharacteristic? Oh please, Roger had a bad temper earlier on in his career that he wasn't afraid to let show. Rafa smashing his racquet, now that, would be uncharacteristic.
Safin is a racquet smashing legend, so I voted Safin (he also smashed 1055 racquets in total IIRC).
This clip shows gonzo smashing his racquet multiple times in his career...pretty good!
Vera doesn't get enough credit.
everyone can smash a racquet but not like Safin montecarlo 2009
X man easily wins in my book for extreme racket rage!
makes the others like lil choirboys
wow! never knew he was like that. that's so funny
Man i was thinking to vote for either Gonzalez or Roddick but you didn't put either of them in the poll...
Love his racquet smashes
how the hell did he even do that!!??? lol
Lee, there´s a story about Johan Kriek from the 80´s, if i remember it correctly, where he smashed a hole in the wall of the dressing room at a tournament after he lost a match or was it Andres Gomez?
Do you remember that?
Anyone ever see Sampras do a racquet smash?
Video where his racquet actually imploded on a overhead (winner!)...that was ridiculous
If that counts as a racquet smash, it's the GRSOAT
Thats crazy!! the handle disconnected from the head hahaha
actually safin appears to be disconnected from his head at well
notice how the ball kid doesn´t dare to approach him
One must admire that even when it's a rare occurrence, Fed strives to be the GOAT of everything he does — whether it's the GOAT of tennis (of course), pink polo shirts (check), illusionist-inspired commercials (who else?), backhanded news-conference compliments (possibly) or racket smashes. Sadly, I think there are too many good smashes here, so Fed's going to have to settle for Top 5 in this area...
5. Tie: Roger, bringing in the element of surprise and a deep reserve of feeling as he plays grim reaper to an unsuspecting racket. (As compared with Djokovic, whom I felt perfunctory. I didn't quite buy his racket smash on an emotional level.)
*Youzhny: The racket turns on its wicked tormentor, and the incident transmutes into a rite of self-flagellation, the blood testament to the hemorrhaging scoreboard. Youzhny suffers for his tennis.
4. Baghdatis: For his winning combination of abundance and efficiency. What's better than one broken racket? Four broken rackets! But Baghdatis, unlike certain racket-friendly associates, isn't one for time-wasting tactics, so he doesn't bother taking them out of their plastic bags before ushering them to their final reward. On many levels, the night was a triumph, except for the match.
3. Gonzo: Asking for applause for his brutality — shameless but he knew how to get the crowd into a racket massacre, unlike Roger, who drew only its derision. You see, the racket smash is the opposite of class, which is Roger's hallmark. Gonzo is not afraid to revel in the mire and celebrate destruction as an act of creation. That's why he has a Hall of Fame career in racket smashes.
2. Roddick: He shows mischievous humor and shrewd practicality by inquiring whether he had incurred a code violation for abuse before inflicting the coup de grace. Sensing the umpire's indifference as a personal affront to his smash skills, Roddick made damn sure he had earned his rebuke by the time that racket had shuffled off its mortal coil.
1. Vera: She knows how to kick a racket when it's down. You can feel her untrammeled hatred toward the soulless implement as if it were a living, breathing being — and completely responsible for her shortfalls on the court. It's rather a shame she managed to finally balance her medication, found inner peace or turned to other inanimate objects upon which to inflict her rage hidden from public stare, because her recent demeanor only sharpens the contrast to her legacy of ruination and madness, tales of tears and torn bandages, swaths of medical tape ripped asunder like a prisoner breaking free from his shackles. Some say it was Kim Clijsters, others Serena Williams. But those who admire a good meltdown know that Vera's greatest opponent was her own racket, and she almost always came out on top in that particular matchup. In those instances, if she were Roger Federer, that racket was Andy Roddick (see No. 2 for karmic slight). That's why peak Vera is the GOAT of racket smashes.
players go for the cathrsis
sometimes it really works. Try it at home when you're upset. Go to any room, lock yourself up and scream like hell.
I wonder if there's a stat of players after being led at the score end up winning after breaking their racquet?
theyre all great in their own way. fed breaking a racquet was basically an impossible thing to even imagine after he matured on the tour. he used to do it in his teens but it was never seen again later up until that point. also how professionally he did it was amazing regarding how long a break that was from the last time he did it lol
baghdatis was awesome cause you could really see him thinking about it like "should i get another one out? or shouldnt i?" twice inbetween lmao. also how he didnt even bother to take the last 2 out of the wrap -.-
roddick wanting his warning was hilarious too.
djokos almost makes you feel sad for him lol. hes trying so hard and he just cant break it. "darn-it stu-pid eff-ing pill-ow grass-court :S" haha awww
goran clearly takes the epicness award for being the only player to ever be forced to retire due to lack of equipment oO
gonzo obviously takes the overall lifetime achievement award +g+
oh and then youzhny, well... not technically a racquet smash but still.
racquet to youzhny: "HEAD!"
youzhny to racquet: "ok."
The best post (by a country mile) in this thread is Colin's. Anbsolutely epic!
It's been said he did one in Stockholm '97 or '98, but good luck trying to find that...
WHOA! Totally lost it there,Malisse.
HAHA i know aye, he went spastic!! best outrage i have seen so far.
I HONESTLY don't know why Ivanisevic ain't leading this poll.
it's difficult to make a choice... as you said, they are all great, but in a different fashion.
the brighton episode is a classic... and goran managed to bounce back from that several months later ! i hope marcos can enjoy a similar success after his "melbourne tetralogy"...
malisse could have deserved a spot in the poll... i like how his racquet is so deeply crashed into the fence that it seems hard to take it out !
by the way, about girls... didn't navratilova smash some racquets (and chairs ?) with a decent amount of rage ? (or is my memory playing some tricks to me ?...)
It's Gonzo but of poll, Baghdatis
Surprised Djokovic hasn't got any votes yet.... his one at Wimbledon 2011 against Baghdatis was epic. He totally lost it and looked so stupid haha.
Ah yes, Vera Zvonareva
Only two votes for Goran? He's pretty much the Godfather of the racket smash. When Marat Safin was the young, promising racket smasher, Goran was the one breaking down his technique.
Separate names with a comma.