WHY IS ANDY MURRAY RETIRING?

Zain786

Semi-Pro
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Berdych, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77403

Guest
He killed himself trying to get to number one...never fully recovered.
 

supineAnimation

Hall of Fame
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Birdshit, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
He's in near constant pain. Trust me: that is a horrendous state of being to endure day in and day out. This has nothing to do with the perceived weakness of the younger generation of players. The man has earned the right to make whatever decision he feels is best for him and his family.
 

BringBackWood

Professional
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Birdshit, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
Alternative theories:

1) Pushed out by next gen. The match against Medvedev was actually peakray, and was his last stand against next gen. He's been off for a year working out new tactics against them.

2) Silent ban. 2016 FO SF alerted authorities, who rigourously tested him.
 
D

Deleted member 77403

Guest
At least he accomplished what he killed himself for.
Not everyone succeeds trying.
Yes, so many things for British tennis, including becoming the first British player to be ranked world number one and first to end the year world number one, since the rankings were made. That alone immortalizes him.

Him winning the Davis Cup will always be the thing that amazes me, Great Britain was a team that would struggle not to be relegated to some lower zone, yet this guy not only brings them back into the world group, but then single handily takes to them to Davis Cup glory and that also on clay in an away final...

Winning Wimbledon, but also Olympic Gold Medal, WTF and Year Ending Number One Title all in the capital of his nation...allowing his people to enjoy those moments live...the guy gave so many special moments to British tennis, not surprised he gets the statue.
 

Nostradamus

Bionic Poster
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Birdshit, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
LOL, 2nd operation ? you are thinking 2nd operation will cure him. but here is reality. 70 % chance 2nd operation will make his pain worse, 30 % it might lessen the pain temporarily but no more than 1-2 years max. 20 % chance it will make him walk with limp and won't be able to play with his kids for the rest of his life..

Would you take those odds ?
 

OhYes

Legend
Thread sucks. Stupid too.
It is not stupid, its just that OP is in disbelief (and myself for that matter) concerning state of tennis right now where bunch of old guys are recovering in a day or from whatever injury they "had" while Murray goes to wheelchair. Bizzare.
 

True Fanerer

G.O.A.T.
It is not stupid, its just that OP is in disbelief (and myself for that matter) concerning state of tennis right now where bunch of old guys are recovering in a day or from whatever injury they "had" while Murray goes to wheelchair. Bizzare.
Andy can have another surgery to fix his hip for every day living. The odds of him coming back are very low. Thread wasn't created in good taste either. Calling Berdych a name isn't necessary. I just don't believe in shenanigans when it's something serious like this. I like to have fun, but not in this way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fps

Night Slasher

Semi-Pro
I guess he realized that he can't get near to his average level (let alone the highest one) after the injury/surgery and probably thought that fighting the pain isn't worth it.
 

Rosstour

Legend
He hasn't been a factor the last 2 years. Anyone who couldn't see this coming had his or her head in the sand.
 

Zain786

Semi-Pro
This is truly sad, AM did not even leave on his own terms and yet he looks like he is going into a wheelchair whilst the rest of the thirty year olds who have been on tour for longer and have injuries every two years or so are still playing. This is beyond belief, Federer is 37, Nadal is 32 and every year he has an injury and we all think this is it for him but Murray just when he looks like he is challenging the big three in 2016 has a hip injury and thatt's that. Game over. 31 years old man, and the likes of Berdych can come back along with Stan who looks like he has a new leg, I mean I just cant believe this. Ive been watching andy since I was 15. Sad times, but life goes on. Life goes on.
 

Badabing888

Hall of Fame
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Birdshit, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
I was reading that the only option now is for him to have a Hip resurfacing operation like Bob Bryan just had, but Bob Bryan is a Doubles player and doesn't have to cover the whole court like Andy would if he returned. And as I understand it no player has come back to the same level as he did pre-Hip surgery and this would be Andy's second operation on his Hip just to have a normal life, where he can play tennis recreationally, play golf, tie his shoelaces without pain. Never mind playing ATP pro level tennis and getting back to the level where he was a contender. If he stays in Melbourne post-AO '19 and has this second Operation performed by the surgeon who did last year's op then he won't play at Wimbledon this year, that's for sure and can probably write off the rest of the year. Even with the new hip resurfaced there's no guarantee it will have the same flexibility as before (probably not) and then he overcompensates to protect it and puts pressure on the other parts of his body - risking further injury.

And the big Question is would he be happy to return just to be one of the players who just enjoy playing, but with little chance of ever getting back to his pre-2017 levels? He'll be closer to 33 by the time he returned and in a year's time the whole ATP landscape will have moved on. Isn't it better just to close this chapter on his life and move on and just get the damn hip fixed and be pain-free and live and enjoy the rest of his life with his young family? He's got nothing left to prove in the game and is well set financially for the rest of his life.
 

Towny

Hall of Fame
Technically he doesn't want to
He wants to stop instead of playing through worsening pain with he prospect of chronic hip pain increasing as he goes on. In an ideal world, he's healthy and plays. That's not an option and Murray is free to choose his path from what remains.
 

Imperator

Hall of Fame
That’s really sad but it’s the way it is. He’s in constant pain and never been the same ever since he got his hip injury. He said it himself, he tried everything to get better and nothing worked.

I still hope he will miraculously get better and regain his old level but that’s not realistic.
 
Murray was a boring player. He only entered the Big 4 when he became an extreme defensive player. Kinda like Djokovic, except not as good. Most of Nadal's success is from extreme defense, although he deserves more credit because he was an all-court player prior to ~2010 (Go rewatch Fed-Nadal Wimbledon matches of 2007 and 2008 to see the difference). It's always sad when a top player has to quit because of injury or age, but I don't feel like the tour is losing anything of value.
 

ibbi

Legend
Hip problems destroys tennis careers. Nalbandian, Guga, Hewitt, Moya, Magnus Norman. Grand slam winners/finalists all. Aside from Norman they all managed to keep playing after their surgery, though none were ever the same (Hewitt made Wimbledon QF in 09 after having one hip done, had to get the other done the year after), but aside from Moya they were all still in their 20s. Murray is north of 30, and recovery is just tougher.

Tommy Haas was one guy who had surgery in his 30s and kept on going, but he was never competing near the top of the game (though I believe he made a Roland Garros quarter after) and Tommy Haas has proven many times how he's not normal.
 

tacou

G.O.A.T.
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Berdych, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
u rookie

he is getting a second operation. it's called a hip replacement. it is tough to be a pro athlete after multiple hip surgeries
 

Sudacafan

Talk Tennis Guru
LOL, 2nd operation ? you are thinking 2nd operation will cure him. but here is reality. 70 % chance 2nd operation will make his pain worse, 30 % it might lessen the pain temporarily but no more than 1-2 years max. 20 % chance it will make him walk with limp and won't be able to play with his kids for the rest of his life..

Would you take those odds ?
Given those terrible risks and odds, I think Murray should aim to lead a normal life from now on. Playing competitive tennis should be the last of his worries right now.
 

prairiegirl

Hall of Fame
This is truly absurd. He is only 31 and he is retiring when the likes of Berdych, Stan, Tsonga, Federer and even Nadal who has been injured for the past decade are still playing.

This is a nightmare for the sport, he was the 3rd most consistent player after Fed and Nole, and now he is retiring and we now have to witness Generation Useless and Next take over.

THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING. He should go for a second operation and take some time off and come again.
This is an utterly ridiculous thread and foolish discussion. At some point, all players retire. Get over it. And why should he go for another operation? Why should he put himself through this just to satisfy people like yourself? This is his life and his body, and it's for him to take care of himself first. Move on!
 

Badabing888

Hall of Fame
This is an utterly ridiculous thread and foolish discussion. At some point, all players retire. Get over it. And why should he go for another operation? Why should he put himself through this just to satisfy people like yourself? This is his life and his body, and it's for him to take care of himself first. Move on!
He needs another opersation to have a normal life without pain. The first one he tried to continue playing at the highest level, but that and rehab did not work. He can’t even tie his shoelaces without being in pain. So second op; likely to be a hip resurfacing operation will help him lead a normal life without pain in the right hip. But it’s more major op than the first one he had.
 

Sudacafan

Talk Tennis Guru
He needs another opersation to have a normal life without pain. The first one he tried to continue playing at the highest level, but that and rehab did not work. He can’t even tie his shoelaces without being in pain. So second op; likely to be a hip resurfacing operation will help him lead a normal life without pain in the right hip. But it’s more major op than the first one he had.
Wow. He needs to focus on that and forget about tennis. This is more important.
 
Top