Discussion in 'Odds & Ends' started by jamesblakefan#1, Mar 22, 2010.
Caddyshack. Cant get past liking it every time.. Chevy for Pres.
A Bronx Tale
I'm going to see Argo in a couple of hours with the wife (first time in a long time since having kids).
Yeah, yeah, we get it, we're all connected. The wisdom here is a little banal but the Wachowskis are dazzling filmmakers and this film is visually stunning; it needs to be to keep you involved for 2 3/4 hours.
Two Zombie classics:
Dawn of the Dead ( 1978 )
Dead Alive (aka Braindead - 1992) - Remember to have a nice hefty dinner before you watch this one =)
Skyfall in IMAX. I was in Guatemala until yesterday, and 007 premiered there on Thursday.
The History of Computer Chess: An AI Perspective (Documentary)
One of the most interesting parts of the Q&A at the end was when attendee asked a question
'What is the single most important thing you learned from 40 years of computer programming in AI field ?'
(David Levy answered)
Problems that normally required human intelligence for solving problems
can be solved by computers without using any intelligent techniques
Savages - 7/10. Not that great. Del torro is good, but the story is pretty ridiculous, the post production is excessively washy and it's hard to really care about anyone in the story.
The Watch - 7.5/10. A simple lighthearted comedy that is fun if you want to shut your mind off for a bit and watch a standard hollywood buddy movie.
I'm a Jason Statham fan, but this one was better than expected.
Reagan - A documentary by Eugene Jerecki.
Very good film , shows what a colorful and complex person Ronald was . He was my hero.
One of the current candidates was like a carbon copy of Ronnie.
Just watched Argo. Certainly would Reccomend not bad at all. First time since boiler room I enjoyed Ben affleck on screen.
Cloud Atlas. Don't know why it's getting such bad reviews. I enjoyed it.
Just saw Flightand it was great. Denzel Washington ought to get an Academy Award nomination for his role; best thing he's done. See it. Also, see Argo; another great flick.
Better than expected
Could be "Taken Also" now that others get into the act. Sixty is the new thirty, and Liam Neeson still blows away the young turks (well, Albanians) like a superhero. As predictable as melting snow.
(^^ oh, did I mention, the "chase scene running on rooftops" and "chase scene speeding through the Istanbul market bazaar" are included?)
Utterly stupid. Disappointing.
The alt movie of the year without doubt. Wes Anderson is back to his quirky best with this one. Great actors also: Ed Norton, Bill Murray, Harvey Keitel, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Francis McDormand... It's right up there with The Life Aquatic in terms of oddball humour.
For those interested in ACTA, SOPA and all related controversial themes, I recommend seeing "We Are Legion: The Story of the Hacktivists".
Argo and East of Eden.
one is a classic , the other one´s not.
Watched the Total Recall remake in business class on AA yesterday. Decent
sci-fi offering - effects were good. Deviated from original more than I expected. And I could understand what Farrell was saying. Biel and Beckinsale were easy on the eyes.
The Man with the Iron Fists
Kung Fu film meets blaxploitation film (and it even features Pam Grier in a brief cameo). Blood squirting everywhere, this one keeps its sense of humor and delivers plenty of fun.
Just saw Lawless the other night. Pretty interesting if you enjoy the time period and the acting of Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf. Just need to focus and actually watch though
Wreck It Ralph
I am watching La Piovra right now. Such a wonderful and engaging old film about Sicilian mafia...:lol:
^^ You might like "Gomorra," a film made 4 or 5 years ago about the Naples mafia.
Thanks, I'll keep the title in mind for the future. Never ceases to amaze me how rotten and corrupt the societies are in Western Europe and the Anglo-Saxon sphere.
I just saw Skyfall this afternoon. Not bad. A lot normal Bond stuff. Worth the 2.5 hours.
"Tycoon: A New Russian" is another good film in the genre.
i love how they brought moneypenny back!
Unlike La Piovra, this one doesn't show on youtube.
Made a weird combo this weekend
Director's cut of Das Boot (insane 3 hours in a german submarine)
Network, 1976, a prophetic movie about how medias are controlled by corporations and garbage television
insane acting, great script, incredibly prophetic it's scary
I'm ashamed to admit this but I watched (and enjoyed) Hobo with a Shotgun. God help me.
But the ending was gloomy
The Devil's Bride with Christopher Lee, it's a good Hammer horror flick from 60's.
A truly heart-warming film based on the true story of a quadriplegic and the poor, Senegalese migrant he hired to be his carer.
I am watching the Harry Potter!
Skyfall. Good stuff - worth the wait.
Zombie outbreak in Africa !!! ...pretty good and must see if you are a fan of the genre.
The new Bond, which I didn't like -- but Argo was very very good
I must be the only one here who agrees that Skyfall was pretty bad, I enjoyed the Bourne movies a lot more and I saw all the Bond movies growing up. Argo was great, I agree.
[SKYFALL SPOILERS INSIDE]
the ending was 100% Home Alone style
Bond planting trapps all over the house and waiting for the villains to come
what? he doesnt have a cell phone to call his friends at MI6 for help?
and what was that back stabbing in the end? not very bond style, no?
watched it yesterday... on Imax
what a waste of time, dont believe the hype, skyfall is the worst Bond ever IMO
here are my arguments:
1. what happened to that stolen agent list?
2. open court meeting with MI6 and the press: yes of course it happens all the time and the press is invited...
3. the villain's LOL escape, lame and stupid. At first Bardem seems a great villain, just to appear plain stupid on the second half of the movie
4. Bond could have called for backup when Silva arrived at the end. But of course, there's no cell phone in Scotland!
5. how did bond survive that fall in the beginning? and the shot? who and how was he saved? no explanation whatsoever
6. the bond girl gets killed? Bond doesnt care at all, no reaction...
7. Bond follows a criminal, lets him go into a building and kill 3/4 people before fighting him. no very Bond
8. Stupid and predictable script: "Only 6 people in the world can write this code" Bond "can you break it" Q "I invented it"
I laughed so hard at this
bad script, horrible plot, stupid conclusion and most important: they transformed James Bond into a stupid character
I also thought Skyfall was a massive disappointment as a Bond movie, here are my reasons:
1) It wasn't clever at all. If this wasn't a Bond movie, I would have been fine with it. But for a Bond movie, this was not clever at all.
2) It wasn't stylish aside from the introduction (those are always great, especially the Daniel Craig era). To me, Bond's character values form over function. The stuff may not work well, but he'll use it if it's pretty enough. James Bond is known for his sense of style, demanding the finest, and often unnecessary grooming for the occasion. There were bits and pieces here and there, but the movie wasn't bathed in style like Casino Royale was.
3) The villain was a joke. It was almost as if they wrote the movie, and forgot to write in a villain. And to show that we gave this character some thoughts, we'll make him a bit of an oddball and extra annoying.
4) Aside from M, all of the side characters were also a joke. M and Bond could have stayed on screen for all 2 hours and a half and I may not even notice the lack of a supporting cast.
5) Two and a half run time is fine, just don't bore me for a hour and give me the substance of 90mins. And no, I don't need a 5 minute lecture on rats and coconuts on the set of Inception. If you watched the movie, you know what I'm talking about.
Casino Royale remains as my favorite 007 film.
Woody Allen was great
it had everything, from plot, to style and drama
wasn't that good at all! Denzel is aging and it definitely shows in this movie (physically at least).
The movie plot was jumbled, unfinished, and not refined.
I really don't understand why he did this movie.
' I AM' director Tom Shaydac who did Bruce Almighty , Liar liar, Nutty professor and many more.
What is wrong with the world ? Is the core idea and question of the film and it answers it
brilliant movie... so well done that I almost started rooting for the bad guy
ok im gonna see that one then... have you seen 'Michael Clayton' ? you prolly would like it!
Separate names with a comma.